What's the difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From a word processing point of view, is there a difference between MS Word and MS Works?

Sponsored Links
The Works Word Processor has a lot less options than MSWord, it does the basics though.

Thanks for the reply Spark123. It would appear that Works might be enough for my requirements but I'll look into it further. Thanks.

If it is a very very basic word processor you are after, try Wordpad (in the accessories folder), it has less functions than Works but does the job.

Sponsored Links
I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure I remember having difficulty opening a Works document with Word. This may no longer be a problem, but keep that in mind if you need to send files to anyone.

gcol said:
I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure I remember having difficulty opening a Works document with Word. This may no longer be a problem, but keep that in mind if you need to send files to anyone.

Absolutely correct gcol - MS Works documents cannot be opened by MS Word (confirmed by trying it with Office XP, not sure if later versions change the situation).

Most can, depending on the versions of both works and word, when you come to save it it will give you a warning, just save as a word doc. Not sure about the other way about, or what versions it applies to.

Sponsored Links
Back