Whats the legals?



I have just taken over the responsibility for a building.
It is leased and has been refitted by the provider of the underlease.

They have installed an alarm. On enquiring the alarm a grade 2 hardwired system was installed by one of the contractors sparkies who used to be an alarm installer and claims to still be SSIA registered.

I met this guy on site and found the alarm to be fob operated but with a keypad available.
I asked for a master code as I have not decided which arc service to use.
He refused to let me have one quoting recent acpo rule changes re the use of keypads.
I stated that the fobs would be used but I required the codes since they may be needed if staff arrived to open up but had forgotten their fob.
I also said I required the master code because I hadn't yet decided which arc to use and I had no service contract yet in place for resetting.
The sparkie installer would not be the service company as he was working already as an employed general electrical contractor not as an alarm company.

A couple of points here
Will the alarm be elligible for police response not being NSI installed. Allthough the contractor claimed to be SSIA I doubt if he is doing general subbing wether he has kept his SSIA subs going just for the few alarms a year he will be required to install in his current position.
I certainly have no paper proof of his membership and doubt to be shown any.
Also , where did he stand refusing to give me the codes?

Sponsored Links
16 Mar 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom
You should have some form of certificate of conformity stating what grade the system is installed to.

Normally insurance requirements for a police call system will be by a SSAIB or NACOSS approved company.

You will not get police calling without an approved company taking over the servicing of the system, there are not a lot of them that will just walk in and take on the as installed system, ie engineer code will have been changed which will result in the system having to be defaulted and fully reprogrammed.


I will ask for a certificate.

The registered keyholders will be third party as none of the responsible staff live within 20 mins of the building so I will be using a keyholding service.

The keys will be on site in an external key safe along with a keyfob.

Are these external keysafes secure?

Also could anyone recommend a good independent ARC.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local