Whats the valve for??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I was wondering if you could help....
I have a swiftflow 80 boiler and on the pipes that exit the unit there is a heating flow out and a return flow in for the heating. Once these pipes come away from the boiler they are later linked together with copper pipe and a stop cock type valve.
Does any one know if this valve should be open or closed
and
what the valve is for.
I recentley put a hole in one of the pipes and drained the system and in a moment of panic turned and switched everything off I could find and can't remember if the valve was off, half on or on fully

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It is a system bypass and should be set by a plumber to allow an open path back to the boiler in the case of all trvs shutting down.

It should be a little open always.
Perhaps one of the pros can tell you how to set it correctly. :D

Suck it and see - with the rest of the system running normally the bypass should be closed enough keep the correct temperature difference bewteen flow and return, and with all TRVs shut down it should be open enough to prevent the boiler overheating.

TRvs ? Who said anything about TRVs?

Had they even invented them when the swiftflow was fitted?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Maybe the plumber anticipated the invention of Trvs when he fitted the system. :LOL:

But seriously......why would a bypass be needed if there was always a open circuit i.e no trvs fitted?

Agile said:
TRvs ? Who said anything about TRVs?

Had they even invented them when the swiftflow was fitted?

Tony

Just being thorough and covering all bases Tony.

Bahco said:
Maybe the plumber anticipated the invention of Trvs when he fitted the system. :LOL:

But seriously......why would a bypass be needed if there was always a open circuit i.e no trvs fitted?

Because there could be a MZV instead of or as well as TRVs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back