whats this router bit called

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

For a forthcoming project I need to cut a slot in some material to fit some edging, I have a router and will use this, I checked out a few tool sites and cant seem to find a "slot cutting bit", but only "rebaters" and such, can anyone advise of the correct name? (also any advice on doing the cuts would be appreciated)
slot.jpg

sorry about the crap pic !

Sponsored Links
its a slitting or slotting cutter - have a look at trends website , by using different bearings you can vary the depth of cut , if you cant get a trend booklet email me and i'll get one sent to you

thanks for the fast reply, I checked trends site, where the heck is the "request brochure" ?

Im not brilliant with a router, how difficult is it to do these slots? should I get a cheapo router table? (Im going to be making one of these jukeboxes http://www.mameroom.com/vjplans_info.asp ) I dont mind spending a bit of money if it will help the finished project - it needs to look 100% if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
And if you'd like a similar cutter, trades quality but at a MUCH better price then try Wealden Tool. A1 mail order service as well

No connection, just a satisfied customer

Scrit

in reply to how easy it is, just practice with it a bit first, measure carfully and get it all set so you are really happy with it before you start, otherwise its fairly straight forward. You could also do the slot with a table saw if youve got one.

You could also do the slot with a table saw if youve got one
I do have a table saw, but I cant see me holding a piece that large (about 3 foot x 18") without it all going sadly wrong!

eggplant said:
You could also do the slot with a table saw if youve got one
I do have a table saw, but I cant see me holding a piece that large (about 3 foot x 18") without it all going sadly wrong!
Personally I think that you'd be nuts to do it this way. It would mean passing a large unstable piece of material over an unguarded blade. One wrong wobble and you might not be counting to ten on your fingers again! :oops:

Scrit

depends if the cut is on the 3 foot or the 18 inch side. You can always set up a jig to do it

the cut is along the long part, I think I'll stick to the routher option, thanks for the suggestion though.

Eggplant:

Can you tell us the thickness of that board and the dimensions of the slot you want to cut in it?

How best to cut that slot depends on how accurate the slot width has to be and how deep the slot has to be.

I'd say you're either looking at using a slot cutting bit or a straight bit along with an edging guide on your router.

A slot cutting bit will be easier to handle, but you won't get the same accuracy of width of slot as you would with a straight bit.

A straight bit will give you the width of slot you need, but balancing a big router on the edge of a board is going to be a wobbly kind of affair even with an edging guide.

http://routerbitworld.com/index.php/cPath/1236_1355_1359

http://routerbitworld.com/index.php/cPath/1236_1237_1238

If it wuz me, I would use a straight bit in a LAMINATE TRIMMER along with an edging guide. Unless that's solid hardwood you're cutting, the laminate trimmer would have enough power, and it would be more stable sitting on the narrow edge of a board, especially with an edging guide attached.

Nestor_Kelebay said:
A slot cutting bit will be easier to handle, but you won't get the same accuracy of width of slot as you would with a straight bit.

A straight bit will give you the width of slot you need, but balancing a big router on the edge of a board is going to be a wobbly kind of affair even with an edging guide.
Pardon??? Nestor you can cut a slot of the required width by making two passes with the cutter height altered, so a 4mm slot cutter could easliy cut a 5.5mm slot, especially if the router has a micro adjuster. Running any router on a narrow edge is a sloppy and inaccurate of working.

Scrit

Hi all,

here is a pic of the exact pieces I need to make, the material is to be 9/16ths MDF.

I havnt started yet, I have a lot of planning and buying to do but plan to start in the next few weeks, I have been reading the plans and these slots were my biggest concern.

Thanks
slot1.jpg

The slot cutter is definatly the way to go, nestors way would take ages as you would need to make several passes and no doubt snap a few router bits and the table saw method would only work with an ultra thin kerf blade and would still be dangerous. I would go for Wealden cutters as Scrit says.

The bracketed metric sizes are a bit optimistic. a 1.5mm slot cutter is a lot closer to 1/16" than 2mm. You will also have to use 15mm MDF and make allowance for this as it may affect the size of other components

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back