When did Cavity Wall insulation become a legal requirement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built in 1988 - is it safe to assume that it has cavity wall insulation installed at the time of construction?

Sponsored Links
With the track record of the average builder in this country, no assumption is safe.

What makes you think that cavity wall insulation is a legal requirement?

My house was built in 1989. Downstairs we have a 1" blue board fix to the internal wall within the cavity. For some reason, I assume cost,they didn't bother to put it upstairs. This is really frustrating because two bedrooms with North facing walls are really cold, and you are not allowed to have blown fiber added if you've already got some insulation (can cause damp).

The best bet for you is to drill a hole into the cavity. If you hit something soft, the you've got insulation. If all you hit is masonary of the second wall, the you've got nothing. Check in a couple of places. If you haven't then get it done - it will make a big difference, especially with the cheap grants around at the moment.

As far as whether you need to have a cavity insulation as part of building regs, i guess it depends on the construction. If thermalite blocks were used, you might not need to have insulation,as the u-value might have met the requirement at that time.

Excellent post Guzzles, but I think we've lost him :(

Sponsored Links
certain u values (cant remember the level) were a building regs requirement then, and most houses that were being built at that time needed cavity insulation, so id be surprised if it didnt have it (if youre still there!!!!)

on the same subject I have calculated (roughly) the U-value of my house to be 1.3 W/m2K, which as you can imagine is pretty cold in winter. Its a 1938 end terrace with un-insulated cavity walls. Does anyone know of any good insulation grants or websites to check out reg this..?
cheers. :confused:

speak to your local building control, they should be able to point you in the right direction

Just go into your loft and look down the cavity :eek: Mine is 1989 and doesn't.

cavity wall insulation is a legal requirement in a roundabout sort of way. If is brick/cavity/block construction then some insulation would be needed (50mm for 0.45?)

as others said, when newly constructed the walls need to meet a minimum U-value (in 1993 it was 0.45 - i think the value changed in 1991 so it may have been less in 1989). For building regs approval it would need to meet this uvalue. But there are other ways to provide insulation that the housebuilders might have used -

soild thermal blocks
insulated plasterboard linings
2 leafs of blockwork (rendered)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back