Where can I buy soil to fill void in garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 1.6m high x 0.7m wide x 27m long boundary which I will be building a retaining wall but would like to know where I could get extra soil to fill the space that would be left once the wall has been built.

I was thinking of going to my local dump and asking if they offer a serivce to deliver unwanted soil etc to fil the space.

Thanks

M

Sponsored Links
dig a hole, as you dig pile the soil up. instant pile of dirt, now the clever bit, fill the hole back in and you will find you will have some left over (you really will) repeat as required until you get the required amount.

failing that try here

in other words, try a search for top soil providers, or use the yellow pages.

if its a retaining wall backfill the lower part of the void with pea shingle to help the drainage and reduce the hydrostatic pressure. You can noramlly buy topsoil either bagged or loose, but be carful what you buy. make sure it is screened topsoil and make sure you are around when its delivered. A decent supplier will screen it off all waste thats in it. A cheap one wont and it will be ful of metal, brickwork etc fresh off of the building site!

Sponsored Links
Can you get free top soil from your local tip? I know our local one does that! maybe worth a look!

Excavate for the foundation slab of the shed you'll build one day, and use that ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back