where can i find deep weatherboard, not the small stuff??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please can anyone tell me a link or lead for a timber merchant who would be able to supply weatherboard, featherboard, shiplap, or what ever it is. I can get hold of 6" deep shiplap but I am really looking for the size you see on old houses & barns (as in the hertfordshire area). The problem i have is I'm in east yorkshire & am building a large garage & workshop that is too big for the standard shiplap to look right.
Any links or leads would be greatly appreicieated as I'm fast approching the building stage where I need it.!!
:confused:

Sponsored Links
Look for local saw mills , you should be able to get upto 9"wide straight or wainey edge in a number of different timbers. I know of several local to me in Surrey but none your way.

Jason

Thats great, I was told by one salesman at the self build show last week that the larger cut weatherboard can't be made from pine as the young trees that are now farmed produce too many knotts and split quite quickly. Do you know what would be a cost effective wood that can be cut to the larger weatherboard sizes? is elm an alternative??

Elm I don't think so we don't have much left now remember DED, it can be found and is generally quite wide waney edged boards, but is scarce,expensive and not the easiest to work ,but having said that is a lovely wood.

Sponsored Links
A good softwood would be larch which is quite good for external use but would still need treating, Chestnut or oak are suitable hardwoods. Avoid the fast growing firs lile stitka (whitewood) they have very little resin content and will perish easily and as you say are not grown to large diameters.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back