Where can I get a template to install mains sockets ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of installing quite a few new mains sockets into brick walls.
I spent the whole day yesterday with a metal socket to draw round, a masonary drill bit, and bolster chisel and a damn big hammer !, and got quite a few done - but its hard work.

I don't want to spend a fortune on this, so one of the professional socket cutters is out of the question, but I am looking for a tool to help me.

In the past I vaguely recal my Dad having a template - but he claims no knowledge of it !. It was plastic, about 1.5" deep, and had loads of holes to guide the drill. The idea was that you stuck it to the wall where you wanted a socket, and drilled all of the holes. When you removed the template, you had lots of holes, all at the right depth, none had slipped, and you could finish the job nice and easily with a couple of blows with the bolster chisel.

Trouble is, I cant find one.
Anyone know where I can get hold of one in the UK ? It would be nice if Screwfix sold them as I am about to put in a big Screwfix order - but I can't find them on their site !

Any help, very much appreciated.

Cheers
Nathan

Sponsored Links
Probably find Screwfix have them in their catalogue and if so then you can enter it into their web address search it will come up (not all goods are entered on their website)

Failing that I know for a fact B&Q sell them ... I bought one, £5 'ish for the double and you obviously only use 1/2 of it for a single box + an 8mm drill bit

No, sorry, Screwfix don't appear to do them - can't find them on their site, or in their catalogue (I've spent the afternoon thumbing the catalogue - perhaps I should get on with some work ! :D )

And B&Q don't do them either - well at least not the Newbury store. Went there this lunchtime and was told that they dont stock them and they used to have one 'display' item which they threw away !

It was a B&Q superstore I got mine ...

If you have a lot of boxes to do and £35 to spend you can buy this, it cuts the boxes out in no time and cleanly (also includes the chisels and a few drill bits etc)... well worth the money

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=1001&productId=62026

Sponsored Links
the thing you mean was yellow, with holes round the outside, and one row of holes across the diagonal for each socket. I think i have seen them at my local b & Q, but alexnic's idea is better

The drilling jig you refer to is available at B & Q warehouse I bought one about a month ago complete with masonery drill about £6.00
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nathan.russell said:
I don't want to spend a fortune on this, so one of the professional socket cutters is out of the question

Why not hire the Box Sinker from the Hire Tools Shop ?

The B&Q near you is probably only a supercentre which won't have half the stuff that a warehouse has

Did you ever find the Socket template you wanted ?
I found this by accident on E-Bay and remembered your posting so here is the link....

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
better hurry only 1 day and 23 hours to go :LOL: still cant find them in the screfix site, but then again screwfix is "trade"

Breezer.. What exactly is "trade" I have never known anyone to be turned away from Any seller of anything provided they had the cash. I know i am "in the trade" for certain things but not for others but if asked just say "of course I am "

i hear what you are saying, but screwfix ads do say........for the tradesman (or similar) but i must agree with you, but my origonal point was the "thing" you mentioned is soley for DIY, so, screwfix being "trade" will not stock it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back