Where do I stand Legally (Pay a Cowboy??)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope some one can help. A corgi registered plumber has fitted a new condenser boiler at my daughters house. I voiced my concerns to her regarding positioning of the pipe work i.e not plumb or level, 90° returns (push fit) not being true 90°. Long story short, Pipe connection burst in her loft. He repaired the Leak and remved the faulty pipe work and rerouted the pipes under the floor boards ( something he should have done in the first place) unfortunatly a massive amount of damage was caused to two ceilings in bedrooms ( have to be replaced), lounge ceiling damaged, Wall requires replastering. He is insured claim proceeding insurers carrying on with remedial work. My thoughts are that he was negligent in his approach to the job. What are the legalaties when he gets around to presenting his bill. Major upheaval for my Daughter, her husband and two small children. Can she legally refuse to pay the bill or could she be blacklisted for non payment??.

Thanks in anticipation of any help or advice

Paul

Sponsored Links
I'm no lawyer, but if everything is put right by his insurance and you don't pay for the actual job, he has a case against you in court and you may have a counterclaim for those things you mentioned and a judge will decide where the two shall meet financially.

as long as he puts the work right then im afraid you will have to pay up. Just don't use him again in future.

I would like to know what you mean by this:-

I voiced my concerns to her regarding positioning of the pipe work i.e not plumb or level, 90° returns (push fit) not being true 90°. Long story short, Pipe connection burst in her loft. He repaired the Leak and remved the faulty pipe work and rerouted the pipes under the floor boards ( something he should have done in the first place)

Sponsored Links
If you know so much about Plumbing and Condenser boilers why didn't you do it??

O dear :confused:

Every plumber I know has had a leak somewhen. thats why they have insurance :rolleyes:

Sounds like Daddy can smell some free money to me.

I had a leak last week, some bugger pinched the olive from an 15mm straight connector, at least I had done the nut up :LOL: and it held for nearly a week at 2bar. bit a heat soon found it though.

Another leak yesterday, chippy screwed the pipe to the joist :cry:

Tomorrow I'm gonna fuscion weld 100m x 125mm mdpe and 100m x 90mm mdpe, and connect 36No 32mm mdpe pipes, think of the free money it that lot blows :LOL:

Thanks doitall I thought I was the only one that had the same feelings :eek:

The condenser boiler must be the problem?

DOITALL check for olives on your compression fittings next time

doitall said:
I had a leak last week, some b*****r pinched the olive from an 15mm straight connector...
If you're not undoing every nut from every fitting and examining the olive then you're just asking for a leak to happen somewhen. If you check everything you never have a leak. My personal blind spot is to leave the blank plug loose on new rads. :oops:

I do have to say that I check that every fitting has an olive and every solder ring does have solder in it!

I agree with the others that this plumber has come and put the fault right and his insurance is dealing with the damage caused and I would have said thats the end of it and his bill must be paid.

Tony

Agile said:
I do have to say that I check that every fitting has an olive and every solder ring does have solder in it!
Why do you have to say it? Is it because you no longer have the opportunity to lie about your reasons for recommending power flushing?

I agree with the others that this plumber has come and put the fault right and his insurance is dealing with the damage caused and I would have said thats the end of it and his bill must be paid.
So... when "would" you have said it?

Toolkit said:
My thoughts are that he was negligent in his approach to the job. What are the legalaties when he gets around to presenting his bill.
You might think that the plumber was negligent, but unless you have firm evidence then you might want to think twice about making a defamatory accusation - you could wind up being liable for damage to his professional reputation.

Major upheaval for my Daughter, her husband and two small children.
The fact that there was upheaval to family and children is irrelevant, unless you can show that the cause was something more then simple human error, and that the work was not carried out "with reasonable care and skill".

Can she legally refuse to pay the bill...
No, unless he didn't finish the job in a reasonable time or made an unreasonable charge. She could seek compensation if he didn't put right the damage.

...or could she be blacklisted for non payment?
No. However, if a court found against her and ordered her to pay, and she didn't pay, then it's possible for the defaulted debt to be registered.

Softus said:
No, unless he didn't finish the job in a reasonable time

When was time considered to be of the essence?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back