Where does BT's responsibility stop????????

Roo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the post subject says WHERE DOES BT's RESPONSIBILITY STOP at my house.

At the NTE 5 master socket or at the Grey (slide cover type) junction box by my front door?

Just curious.

Sponsored Links
My understanding is their responsibility stops at the master socket all wiring from then on is the homeowners responsibility

According to BT I am responsible for the wires two poles away from me that are nothing to do with me. Just had a bill of nearly five hundred pounds from them saying a leaf from my tree rubbing against them has caused a fault on someone phone. A few months ago a tree fell on a different line and I had a bill for eight hundred pounds. My insurance paid after a lot of fuss for the first one.

There are probably two different issues here really.

With regards your phone line into your house. BT owns all upto and including the master socket, assuming standard plug in system, and any faults that develop BT side of master socket they will repair.

This is not the case in the scenario you describe. BT will repair any faults that develop on their overhead lines where those faults are 'normally' occuring. However what you describe is faults developing by your property (tree) damaging their cables. If this is the case then I can see no reason why BT shouldn't recover the repair costs from you as owner of the offending tree.

Again insurance will no doubt pay unless they can prove you were negligent in not keeping the tree away from the BT cables!

Sponsored Links
Thank you all.

Alan E yes there are 2 different issues

I wanted to know what BT owned and Bodgeit was telling us how he's too lazy to cut his trees back ;) :LOL:

Why should I have to cut back a sixty-foot tree that is on my land, just because there is a cable in the way of my tree that I don’t want there? And how can a leaf cause a fault on a junction box that has corroded. It’s just a way of getting more money. :(

Bodgeit and scarper ltd said:
Why should I have to cut back a sixty-foot tree that is on my land, just because there is a cable in the way of my tree that I don’t want there? And how can a leaf cause a fault on a junction box that has corroded. It’s just a way of getting more money. :(

Is the cable running over your property to reach another customer? If so you may be within your rights to ask BT to re-route it but I am not 100% sure on this. However if your tree is overhanging someone elses property then I would say it is your responsibilty to ensure it is kept properly pruned so as not to obstruct the cable.

I have asked them to re-route the cable but they say I will have to pay for it to be done. There were several of these trees; I have cut the rest down. I am still working on the last one. It would be less of a problem to sort out if you could speak to people in this country.

The branch that the leaf is connected to is more likly the cause of the problem. But that is nitty picking.

Perhaps the main question that should be asked is what rights of protection do BT, or any other utility for that matter have? Yes they should no doubt be able to claim if you caused wanten damage to their property but do they not have a duty to take reasonable steps to protect it themselves?

I have an overhead elecrticity supply to my property and the roadside lines run at around fence position (allbeit a lot higher!) and I had a fairly large tree in my garden. Every so often the elecrticity utility would call and as if they could trim my tree. By a quqlified person and at no cost to me. So really BT should be doing the same. Or did they and you refused permission?

Regarding the unwanted overhead cable. There are ways of getting it moved, for free, if you go about it the right way!

As an aside do you have a BT pole on your property or just the cable? Could make a BIG difference!

Bodgeit and scarper ltd said:
It would be less of a problem to sort out if you could speak to people in this country.

email [email protected] they are responsible for the poles and ables, NOT BT call centres.

You need to ask for a CDNR (Customer Driven Network Rearrangement).
If your line is not fed by this cable you can ask for a wayleave for the poles. If it feeds you, then... you may have to pay.

You could alternatively call 0800 212 458 UK openreach network office for advice.

AlanE said:
The branch that the leaf is connected to is more likly the cause of the problem. But that is nitty picking.

Perhaps the main question that should be asked is what rights of protection do BT, or any other utility for that matter have? Yes they should no doubt be able to claim if you caused wanten damage to their property but do they not have a duty to take reasonable steps to protect it themselves?

I have an overhead elecrticity supply to my property and the roadside lines run at around fence position (allbeit a lot higher!) and I had a fairly large tree in my garden. Every so often the elecrticity utility would call and as if they could trim my tree. By a quqlified person and at no cost to me. So really BT should be doing the same. Or did they and you refused permission?

Regarding the unwanted overhead cable. There are ways of getting it moved, for free, if you go about it the right way!

As an aside do you have a BT pole on your property or just the cable? Could make a BIG difference!

Bt used to trim the trees but they saw they don’t do that anymore and it’s down to the landowner. The electric people still look after there’s.

Last tree hopefully coming down this week, just hope it doesn’t land on a gas pipe
:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back