Where laminate meets a concrete step

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently fitted laminate flooring throughout my hallway and kitchen (not a bad job for a newbie, too!). My only problem is where the laminate meets the concrete steps at the front and back doors. These steps are around 3-5mm higher than the surface of the laminate (if that). At the moment, the laminate stops short of the steps, leaving the expansion gap. So when you walk into my house you are greeted by a concrete step, a gap and then my lovely laminate!

Any ideas? I've seen those 'nosing' things on another thread, and I wonder if I could fit a laminate board over the concrete with a nosing to bridge the gap and make a small step, but I haven't looked into the widths etc involved to see if this would work. Perhaps I'd have to use some underlay or something to build the height of the step before laying the laminate on top, therefore giving room for the nosing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, ta

Sponsored Links
A flat (mostly solid) oak beading (4 - 5mm thick) any option? You can 'grip-fill' it to the laminate.

Hi wood

Forgot to mention that the height difference is slightly less than the height of any beading I've seen. It's probably more like 2-3mm (I'm at work so I can't measure it :)) so the beading would stick up at the top

I thought about using beading and then putting a laminate plank on the step, but then the step would be higher than the beading again...

Also, what does grip fill mean? thanks

gripfill.jpg

Sponsored Links
hmm, I've just been searching the net and I've realised that there are loads of different shaped beadings etc, not just the quadrant type that I've seen. I think one of those 'reducer' types might do the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back