1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to locate thermostat

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by keenbutconfused, 2 Nov 2005.

1. keenbutconfused

keenbutconfused

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My thermostat is currently located about 50 cm above and slightly to the left of a radiator.

I think this has effectively turned it into a readiator temperature monitoring device. To get the whole room to heat up to a comfortable level we often have to turn it up to 27 degrees and once that temp has been reached even if the room as a whole cools significantly the radiator stay warm so the thermostat doesn't trigger the boiler again.

I think this means I need to move the thermostat. Is this something I can do myself and where should the thermostat go.

The other side of the partition wall that the thermostat is currently on is a cupboard. Can the thermostat be in a cupboard?

2. joe-90

joe-90

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The themostat usually goes in the coolest part of the house like the hallway.

Putting it in the cupboard would be a complete disaster as the temperature in the cupboard wouldn't rise very fast at all so the thermostat would stay on even though the house was sweltering.

Why not run a completely new cable into the hallway from wherever the existing one starts?

joe (Not a plumber but had this problem)