where to start to tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:evil: hi everybody,
just moved in to my new flat and want to tile the bathroom, dont know a thing about it.where do i start?

Sponsored Links
whats on the walls already, and how much do you want to tile, ie wll the walls, some, floor etc

:LOL: want to do the lot wall and floor. my bathroom is 8ft by 6ft. the walls are painted and the floor is wooden boards.

Sponsored Links
i would start with the wall. what condition is the paint in? reason i ask is ifits bad, the tiles may comeoff with the paint.

as for the floor you need to screw marine ply down first at very short centres (loads of screws to you and me) other wise if you tile direct to floor boards they will move at differnt rates and soon the tiles will come off.

on the lighterside, seeing as you are p.pittstop, could you not ask the "clyde" and the boys to help?

For a start I would never tile on paint. You may as well paint the back of the tile and stick it to the wall. Remove the paint or score it.

With the floor you can either over lay with Ply 15mm or there is a product you can use which is a rubber based adhesive.

Ty :LOL:

P PITTSTOP have a look at www.tileforums.com they talk about setting out and where to start. They also recommend training courses for the DIY.

if i can't tile on paint do i have to remove it all. i don't want to put ply down as it will raise up the floor with tiles aswell. been on tileforums.com thanks tylerb lots of things on there didn't understand a few things but very informative, more for tilers i think.
sorry panjandrum can't get hold of a tiler. do you know anyone that you would recommend.
breezer did ask "clyde" but he was busy. "Mutley" offered but somehow didn't feel confident in him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back