Where to stop ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently started my own Bathroom fitting business - I have a good support group of experieced mates that help me when I am out of my depth (plastering, electrical certification and such like) but I am just in a dispute with a customer regarding a blocked pipe. I would appreciate peoples opinions on this matter as the client is withholding thousands of pounds because of it.

I connected the new shower trap to the old pipework (40mm) and completed the installation but when I came to commission the system the water was draining away very slowly - I have ascertained that the blockage is no where near the bathroom but in or near the final, external lead pipework down to the drain - this is about 5 meters away from the bathroom. I have installed a further meter of pipe onto this.

The client insists that I am responsible for ensuring that the system is adequate from shower to main drain, but based on this I asked if I was responsible for the hot water system that feeds the bathroom and the electrical connections into the consumer unit. I have helped as much as possible in trying to clear the pipe by non destructive methods (arm / plunger / caustic ), but I was curious as to where others drew the line of responsibility when connecting new pipes to an older / existing system.

Sponsored Links
I don't know why you're even arguing about it. Just clear the f***ing drain, collect your money, then you have the option to bill him afterwards for the drain clearing.

I agree to a certain extent - I am doing as much 'non destructive' clearing as I can but they are shying away from paying now, if I do invasive repairs it'll be £600+ - which to me feels like too much of an investment - especially as he believes it is part of the spec of the current job - hence my question.

I owe you an apology zimmat - I didn't read your post properly.

So, it's more tricky than I first thought. If you've done everything you can to clear, is there any way you can disconnect your section of waste and prove to the client that your work is good?

If the client is insisting on you taking responsibility for the waste beyond that, then he's being unreasonable. Personally, unreasonable people get my back up and make me more resolute, so, to answer your original question, I would stick to my (your) guns and press for payment. Be civil, and offer to provide a service to clear the blockage, but only at extra cost.

Sponsored Links
2 options

walk away and chalk it up to experiance

tell him

you will dig the pipe up (with him present) and if the blockage is any building material you will pay, but if its anything else he will pay.

look at it from his point of view

as far as he knows/ is concerned it was ok till you touched it, so it must be your fault.

BUT like i said, if say not any building material, it cant be you can it, that he can not deny

apology accepted - I hope my question wasn't ambiguous. breezer - option 1 is a no no - too much money involved - remember when you started up and money was tight.... (if not lucky you !) Option 2 - yes - thats a good option.

Am I right in saying it's out of original scope hence an 'extra'? I think so.

more dollars=more work done.

insist the tightwad customer coughs as this is clearly an extra.

noseall, the customer will not "cough up" as from his POV it was ok before the job was done

we all know the problem was there to stat with, but the customer doent, now with added waterflow it now shows up

arm / plunger / caustic
Tried sulphuric acid? It'll dissolve anything like rags. The strong drain cleaners all seem to use it.
Otherwise, something like a SaniSnake?

Sponsored Links
Back