Wheres my post went ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi !

Wheres my post gone that was askking in a nice polite way if someone couldnt clear up my confusion over rule number 10 and the difference between posting a link to a well known company when someone needed say a tool or bit of equipment, and posting a link to my site, if someone needed what I offer

Sponsored Links
eggplant said:
the difference between posting a link to a well known company when someone needed say a tool or bit of equipment, and posting a link to my site, if someone needed what I offer
The first is a recommendation, and the second is an advert.

Did you really not know the answer to that? :confused:

so if I sold tools, and someone wanted a new drill, I could post a link to my site rather than one of the larger companies that often gets its name posted?

eggplant said:
so if I sold tools, and someone wanted a new drill, I could post a link to my site rather than one of the larger companies that often gets its name posted?
You could do that if you wanted to be accused of advertising.

When I recommend a Trevi Boost shower valve (above the only other brand of venturi shower that's available), or Hep2o over Speedfit, or Stuart Turner pumps over inferior brands, or relate tales of unreliability of certain boilers, I'm passing judgement without standing to gain anything.

However, if I were to mention any goods or services that I can provide, from the sale of which I would stand to make a profit, either financially or in goodwill, then this is what's called advertising.

I'm starting to think that you're just taking the mickey. ;)

Sponsored Links
So I couldnt say "go to my site I have what you need" but YOU could say "go to eggplants site he has what you need" ??

Yes.

I don't understand why you're not getting what advertising means. :confused:

I do lol im not THAT thick ;)
BUT, what if no one knew that the link I posted was to MY site ?
What if I was a director of say screwfix? I'd be forever posting links to screfix products - as many do - who, IMO are advertising this particular company who will quite possibly get a sale, so the point is, (there is one after all...) Whats the difference?
The reason I'm asking this is because fairly recently someone posted something and I feel I could have saved them a lot of hassle had I been able to "advertise" my services - I cant even remember the post now but it has been annoying me ever since
Hope my questioning now makes at least a tiny bit of sense lol

You are more than welcome to post your website in your profile. Just do not advertise it.

eggplant said:
I do lol im not THAT thick ;)
ok.

BUT, what if no one knew that the link I posted was to MY site ?
Then you'd not only be advertising, but you'd also be conning people. Is that really how you'd like to gain business?

What if I was a director of say screwfix? I'd be forever posting links to screfix products
If you did so on this forum then you'd be breaking the rules. I'm not quite convinced of the virtue of exploring these hypothetical scenarios. :confused:

...as many do - who, IMO are advertising this particular company who will quite possibly get a sale, so the point is, (there is one after all...)
I often post images from the Scroofix site to make a point or to illustrate a tool or component, and yet I'm not actively promoting that company. If fact, I actually decry their existence, because they take trade away from local companies, the existence of which is the cornerstone of my businesses.

Whats the difference?

The reason I'm asking this is because fairly recently someone posted something and I feel I could have saved them a lot of hassle had I been able to "advertise" my services - I cant even remember the post now but it has been annoying me ever since
I share your frustration, but I value the principle of non-advertising (for free) higher than elimination of my personal frustration.

Hope my questioning now makes at least a tiny bit of sense lol
Yup.

Sponsored Links
Back