Which disc to use for cutting a channel with angle grinder ?

Sponsored Links
This is in your house, is it? Where you live? If so, don't even think of using an angle grinder unless you really like dusting. Honestly, the dust will fly everywhere and get into places you will only discover in months to come.

If you're only cutting a few chases for lighting cable just use a lump hammer, bolster and a bit of elbow grease. A scutch chisel can be handy for cutting out for back boxes. I do it all the time, for a living, and I can count on the thumbs of one hand the number of occasions when I've been able to/had to use a chasing machine!

thanks for the fast reply. !!!!!!!

yes its my house.... i was worried about dust.. but thought oh well its only 2 lines...

however if its that bad then i will have to get the chisel out i guess

I've only done a little of this, but in my opinion it's only worth using a cutter if the place is a building site to start with and you have lots to do.

But in the future, if you need to do it, a cheap diamond blade works effortlessly. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I had a load of channels to cut (for a kitchen), sealed myself into the room with masking tape all round the doors, wore a good quality mask and having drawn the lines in black marker, just did them all in around 30 mins. Opened the windows to let out the majority of the dust, unsealed one door, let myself out and resealed it. Left it for an hour or so and went back in to chisel the sections out and then cleaned up with an old VAX vacuum cleaner. Much easier than chiselling the whole thing and got good clean channels of consistent depth. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend it for just two channels though. Seems a lot of mess for the time saved. In my case, it was worth it.

Incidentally, I used a 4.5" grinder with a cheap diamond blade as has been suggested :)

I wouldn't use a grinder indoors, it is extremely dusty and the amount of time saved cutting the channel will be lost in cleaning up the mess. If you are determined to do it this way use a diamond blade as the other types generate more dust as the blade is worn.

Personally I would use an SDS plus drill with a channelling bit. At least you can get someone to hold a vacuum cleaner and catch a lot of the dust as it is made.

Thanks for the Nstrett

I did indeed buy a 850 Watt SDS drill, I tempted it on the wall and the power was something else.

I think I would be making more of a 'channel' with this type of tool.

However I am using the chisel bit that came with the drill... maybe a smaller one would work ok.

nstreet said:
Personally I would use an SDS plus drill with a channelling bit. At least you can get someone to hold a vacuum cleaner and catch a lot of the dust as it is made.

thats what i do. altho the actual chasing doesnt make that much mess. its when the plaster hits the deck!

52907.jpg

Anyone know if this is any good ?

Use to chase out channels in breeze block and other masonry material. Fits SDS+ drills with roto stop feature. 16mm width of cut

Costs 80 odd pounds

freestyle said:
So you think the £10 option might be good enough..

I might give it a try

Jeez, man... don't be afraid of a little light work - you can cut chases in plaster with a Stanley knife! In the time you've been looking for easy options you could have chopped out your chases, relocated your wiring and made good!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back