Which Drill Bit should i use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im fitting a new bathroom sink and i have two( i think they are 10mm) white raw plugs to fit first thing is, This is where i feel stupid,which masonary drill bit should i use, 10mm or 12mm the reason for the confusion is the raw plugs look slightly bigger than the 10mm bit i have.
Can anyone suggest a solution.

Sponsored Links
10mm. You can open a hole out - making it smaller is a bit more difficult..........

10mm.
Then lightly tap the plug into the hole.
If the hole is too big the plug will turn when you try to screw into it.

I wonder if they're like some plugs that I have, which are marked as requiring an 11mm drill bit, which AFAIK doesn't exist.

As Scrit said (first) just use a 10mm drill and wiggle it a bit.

Sponsored Links
I spoke to a plumber at work and as i thought and u guys thought aswell, use the 10mm bit and wiggle it about a bit ( thats the technical term....Lol).
Well here goes.... Thanks guys

if you do "oversize"the hole by design or mistake cut a plug lengthways into quarters and push a quarter [or half dependant on the oversize]to the side off the plug as you push it in
if its into a plug already fitted and the screw wont tighten behind a batton for example
just push the quarter plug in through the hole in the batton

somtimes you get the feel and you know the hole is way to big just take a plug without a shoulder knock it through the batton into the centre of the other plug with the screw a turn into the plug

cut off any of the plug thats proud

even if the plug has only gone in a few mm but thats usualy enough to expand the plug so that it grips

or use a piece of wood plugged into the hole and dont worry about the rawl plug

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back