Which grows quicker - laurel, holly or photinia red robin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help....

We have a fence and we want to grow a large bush/shrub/tree by it to act as screening - we have a choice of laurel, holly or photinia red robin - does anyone know which of these will grow the fastest ?

Basically we want to get to about 10-12 feet in as short a time as possible. The plant will be in a southerly facing psoition and so gets plenty of sun....

many thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Laurel would probably be best, our old bush used to put on about 4-5 ft in a season. Needs to be kept in check though otherwise a bush will quickly turn into a tree.

Holly is very slow, not sure about your third option.

Hello Goalc,

Have you considered escallonias? These are evergreen, fast growing if you pick the larger varieties, and also have very nice flowers. I've found that I can layer mine easily and thus get more shrubs for nowt!

I'd pick these over most other shrubs for your needs

Sponsored Links
Trouble is fastest growing equals most frequent pruning.

Hi Eddie M,

I let my escallonia hedge grow and flower and then just use my petrol hedgecutter on it. It certainly doesn't look as nice as a secateur pruned hedge but it soon recovers.

Have no problem with using a hedge trimmer to prune, rather than poncing about with secateurs, in fact the RHS conducted a rose pruning trial and concluded that the best method of pruning was with a hedge trimmer :!:

Laurel is much the fastest of the three you name. But at 12' high, and usually quite thick as well, you might find it hard work keeping it in check.

My choice would be Photinia. Would take a few years, but would make a splendid hedge in my opinion.

I have an escallonia in my front garden, very decorative, but it is a fast grower, and needs constant trimming. A bit like privet in that respect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back