Which plug to screw fix into ceramic tiled plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This will be to put up cabinets, towel rails, shower rail etc.

I have looked at the plasterboard fixings that are available but the tiles are approx 9mm thick so I would have to drill a big hole through the tiles and another smaller hole through the plasterboard. Not sure I can manage this without pushing the big dril bit striaght through the plasterboard once it clears the back of the tile...!

Other alternative I tought would be to use a toggle but again, big holes!

I've had a search around and can't find any specific plasterboard fixings that allow an the increased depth to the the collar of the plug, to allow for the thickness of the tile but with enough length so that the spreaders on the plug will spread correctly behind the plaster and not within it...

Anyone got any suggestions...?

Sponsored Links
Red wall plugs, 5.5 or 6mm masonry bit. Drill the hole, push the plug in flush then tap the plug just below the face of the tile using a screw and a hammer. Then just screw into the wall plug. Never had any problem using this method and you get a really good fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back