Which silicone is best ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted a new acrylic shower bath and have sealed between bath top and wall with Unibond High Performance Shower and Bathroom Sealant. Problem I have is the sealant doesn't appear to adhere to the bath very well....I have small gaps where the sealant has come away from the bath. Bath is about as solid as can be so movement isn't the problem. I've seen previous posts to suggest Unibond sealants aren't very good and also that sanitary silicone isn't the best for acrylic, neutral curing is much better.

Plan is to reseal using either Dow Corning 785 Sanitary Silicone, as many people seem to rate this highly, or Dow Corning Neutral Curing Silicone. I'm a bit worried about using the neutral curing stuff as the details on it suggest it's primarily used for sealing windows etc...will this stuff be okay to seal an acrylic bath ?

Any recommendations on which to use please ?

Sponsored Links
I prefer 785.

1. Fill the bath with water, and leave it full.
2. Apply the 785 to the 2mm gap you left between the bottom tiles and the bath deck.
3. Wait for 24 hours, then empty the bath.

Sponsored Links
I've just used Bal Microban, which apparently has an organism in it that eats black mold.....I'll get back to you in 10 years to let you know if it worked like it says on the tin! :LOL:

PP

I use neutral cure in my own house because it sticks to acrylic+plastics better, in my opinion .......but sani in customers places because that resists mould better.......and it don`t cost me to renew my mouldy stuff eventually ;)

Hi Softus :D

would you know if Dow Corning 785 comes in grey? I want to use grey grout so I suppose the sealant needs to match. If so is it easy to obtain?

You're in luck A Man de Clegg!

785 comes in a colour they call "Manhattan Grey" - I have a sample somewhere, and it's definitely what you and I would call "grey" (rather the colour of the dust from two felled skyscrapers. :( )

:D Excellent. I'll see if my friendly neighbourhood Plumber's merchant stocks it. Just about to go there to get an imperial olive (damn those old pipes :rolleyes: )

amandaclegg said:
:D Excellent. I'll see if my friendly neighbourhood Plumber's merchant stocks it. Just about to go there to get an imperial olive (damn those old pipes :rolleyes: )
Er, I wouldn't bother.

You're going to have to 'let your fingers do the cyling' on this one Amanda, because very few places stock it. If you order then you'll have to buy a box of 12 tubes.

Your best bet is to phone your nearest Travis Perkins and ask them to find one of their branches that has a tube, and to get them to swap it to your local branch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back