Which size spirit levels are the most useful for GP use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm considering buying a new spirit level(s), but I'm bewildered by the sheer number of sizes available.

What sizes do professionals use the most often?

Any recommendations also greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark.

Sponsored Links
I use a 6' for very long pieces, great for marking lines etc.
Everything else is done with a 8"

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
levelling doctors going by the title :LOL: ;)

I keep an 12"" in my toolbox and a 36"" in the van and a laser cos i'm a flash git ;)
In that case I'm a flash git, too. 300mm in the kit, 1m builders level in the van...... and a rotary laser level, too :LOL: Frequently use both the 300mm and 1m together to level kitchen carcasses - saves loads of time

Scrit

You guys aren't helping me much, there doesn't seem to be any kind of consensus, everyone has a different pick!

BTW, GP = "general purpose" for the person who asked what I'm going to use it for. For example, leveling window cills, checking tiles are level, worktops, etc.

mtspark said:
You guys aren't helping me much, there doesn't seem to be any kind of consensus, everyone has a different pick!

BTW, GP = "general purpose" for the person who asked what I'm going to use it for. For example, leveling window cills, checking tiles are level, worktops, etc.

i think a 1m level would suit most scenarios.

I use a piece of timber with "Bang on" written on it. :cool:

Any size will do

^woody^ said:
I use a piece of timber with "Bang on" written on it. :cool:

Any size will do

..yeah, i suppose you've got a brummie screwdriver too. :LOL:
hammer.jpg

mtspark said:

For a windowboard, you want it no longer than the window or it won't fit in the reveal.

For a curtain rail, it must be very light and say a metre long.

For switch and socket boxes, a 100mm level that fits in your short pocket is handy.

For building a roof, as long as is managable, with some angle-adjsutable vials.

For bricklaying, it needs to stand up to hard use.

For dados and pictue rails, a laser is probably unbeatable.

So maybe start witha long one and a short one.

mtspark said:
The problem is that ther is no such thing as "GP". Each trade or sub-trade has it's own particular requirements, so if you'd care to prioritise maybe you'd get a more consistent response - though probably not (although at least two of us did actually agree, and mine was for kitchens/built-ins/general interior joinery)

Scrit

I like to say, What's best? A Rolls-Royce, a tipper truck, or a milk float?

If you can get to a Costco then they are doing a blinding deal on 3 Stabila levels 200, 600 and 1200mm for 18 quid you'd have all the sizes required for most jobs and some nice quality levels to boot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back