whining noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi/ i had a whining noise coming from the back of the car and i suspected it was a worn wheel bearing,so i had it replaced my self but it made no difference. and then i noticed that the rear brake drum was very hot when i felt it and i thought that the brake pads might have stuck on, but when i jacked the car up there wasnt any resistance as i spun the wheel .can any one tell me why im still getting this noise? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes more info would be good. RWD? FWD? And are they discs or drums? (Pads only for discs) And is your whining relative to road speed or engine speed?

Sponsored Links
sorry the make is a kia rio 1.5 2001 is front wheel drive ,disc brakes on front drum brakes on back the noise gets louder as i speed up car thats why i thought it was the rear wheel bearing.

When you checked drum temp was that side noticably hotter than the other? If so you must have a binding brake issue, even if it was free when you jacked it up. Possibly a handbrake release problem, which isn't apparent with the wheel unsprung off the floor?

And you did grease the new bearing?

I thought you'd picked up another whining noise there for a moment but it seems to have cured itself.

curt - it's not clear whether or not you fitted the bearing, or "had it replaced", i.e. the work was done by someone else. However, since the whining noise didn't change then it's unlikely that the bearing has anything to do with it.

Something here is odd though, hence the content of my first post, because if someone else has fitted a bearing then surely you would have asked them to diagnose the noise - could you answer the question about mileage and recent work?

keyplayer is correct in leading you towards the brakes being the cause - with the car on at least one axle stand (for safety), get as assistant to engage and release the handbrake while you examine what happens with the drum. I would expect that this problem is more likely to be dodgy wheel cylinder though - check the level in the reservoir and see if it's at the height you would expect given the age of the brake linings.

Also, it's not unknown for noises at the front to sound as though they're coming from the rear, and the wheel isn't the only place where there's a bearing that rotates in proportion to road speed.

keyplayer - in my experience, with drum brakes, people get the name of the drum right but the name of the linings wrong, and speedy diagnosis is quite often about reading between the lines. I'm tempted to suggest that you butt out if you don't like my involvement, but you seem a little desperate to leap in and provide the answer to this one, so off you go - it's all yours.

i replaced the bearing myself and packed it with grease although to be honest the old bearings wernt perished in any way shape or form and the car has only done 21,000 miles from new ,it had just been serviced and mot a few months ago so surely they would have picked up on a binding brake drum.there dosnt seem to be a problem with the handbrake its doing its job releasing and engaging the drum brake shoes.something isnt right though.

Softus

You've lost me there - I have no opinion regarding your involvement, the more the merrier. And in what way do I appear a little desperate?

And while you're reading between the lines in order to deliver your speedy diagnosis I would prefer to ascertain exactly what we're dealing with.

curt

Softus could well be right about the slave cylinders, although I'd expect a much longer life than they've had. Did the service include a H/brake adjustment and have you had the problem since your service? (if so garage should sort it) What I would do is back the handbrake adjustment right off and see if noise disappears. If not then you should get the drums off and have a look.

That comment would seem to involve an incorrect assumption about my intent.

As I said, please go ahead and solve the problem. You have your methods, and I have no problem with you putting them to use. I don't see how I can be any less dramatic than that, other than by ignoring you, which would not be courteous.

Sponsored Links
Back