Whirlpool tumble not hot enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People, I apologize for what may seem to some as obvious, but here goes.
I have a Whirlpool AWG 220/1 (reverse) Aqua Dry Tumble Dryer: it works fine except on High heat, I am not certain it is any hotter than the low heat, but I am not sure of how to check it out? I have held my hand over the vent (nothing dangerous for me), but I think the residual heat from the drum etc. still affects my judgement on that.
Are there two elements or is the difference in heat to do with the power being put through one element?
I would appreciate tolerance in the answers?
many thanks,
Planenut

Sponsored Links
American-made clothes dryers only have one heating element and 220 Volts is applied across it regardless of what cycle the dryer is in.

The difference is that there will be two different thermostats in the dryer. On the delicates cycle, the dryer heating element will cycle on and off on the low temperature (typically 140 degree F) thermostat. On the regular and permanent press cycle, the heating element will cycle on and off on the high temperature (typically 155 degree F) thermostat. On the permanent press cycle, the dryer will also tumble the clothes inside the drum until they cool down so as not to put any creases in them.

It's possible that someone replaced your high temperature thermostat with another low temperature thermostat as they are often the same size and shape.

If you don't have a cord coming off your dryer, then be aware that in your circuit breaker panel or fuse box there will be TWO fuses or breakers servicing that dryer, not just one. You need to remove BOTH fuses or trip BOTH circuit breakers off to shut off ALL the power going to that dryer.

Thanks for the reply Nestor, I was hoping for more comments but yours was informative.
Planenut

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back