Whirlpool washing machine rinse aid problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Whirlpool AWM 6120 washing machine no longer takes the rinse aid properly from the tray. It used to leave the tray completely empty but now most of the contents remain after the completion of the wash. The tray has been thoroughly cleaned. The dispenser uses the suction principle and I presume that, as water comes in to the rinse section of the tray, suction draws out the contents. That works when I test the tray. I suspect there is not enough water getting to this section of the tray. I have removed the top of the machine and notice that the plastic section through which the water passes has a strange mechanism of pointers and springs. Could this have moved into the wrong position. I cannot understand what this does.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That series of springs and arms on the top of the soap dispenser is operated from a cam mechanism on the programmer which directs the water into the appropriate dispenser for the approriate part of the wash programme.With yours it will need some little adjustment as the jet is not directed over the softener compartment during the rinse cycle.To do this with the top off you will notice on the dispenser to the right there is a nylon arm with a series of of adjustment markers it points to. Lift this pointer and adjust it one way or another for one or two sections.Test this new positon by first selecting a wash programme start machine open draw slightly to confirm water is hitting powder section (middle section)if confirmed turn off then select a rinse programme repeat and this time the water should hit the left hand section.Switch off machine select a prewash programme and confirm water hits right hand section.If you find it worse then you should redirect nylon arm in opposite direction. Please remember to replace top loosly while machine is being tested.

Many thanks. I now understand how it works. I have actually established that it was not the ratchet pointer that needed adjustment but that the mechanism that moves was being impeded by limescale deposit. When I cleaned up this bit (it has a red plastic pointer attached to it) everything started to work normally. Many thanks for "pointing" me in the right direction

Sponsored Links
Yes you have diagnosed correctly this movement does get gunged up thru time and restricts movement well done and thanks for feedback

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back