WHISTLING RAD VALVE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys... Just moved into a newbuild house and tonight I heard a high pitched whistling noise from my Rad valve.. turned the TRV down a little and it stopped..

its a myson trv . never heard this before, ideas on the problem ?
should slow down the flow on the lockshield , will this help ?? my mate has the same problem in his house and its a myson trv valve also.. SO NOT SURE IF THESE ARE PRONE TO THIS or if its just flowing to fast ??

Sponsored Links
I have exactly the same problem with Siemens TRV when I had all my radiators replaced a little while ago (see my previous posting where I reported it).

I didn't really get any definitive answer. It could be the quality of the TRV which seems the most likely but I haven't had a chance to test this (by replacing it with one of the highest quality an see if problem dissapears.). If you get anywhere finding out what the cuase is, please let me know.

thanks
sanjay

Is orientation correct some valves say they are multidirectional but in real life they are not.Feel which is flow into rad if trv is upright the it should be on flow if trv is @ 90 deg to rad then it should be on return

weareleeds said:
Is orientation correct some valves say they are multidirectional but in real life they are not.Feel which is flow into rad if trv is upright the it should be on flow if trv is @ 90 deg to rad then it should be on return

no problem here the flow and return are correct , only been in the house 5 weeks !!

Sponsored Links
Have you felt the pipes as i suggested don't assume it is instaeed correctly try feeling pipes

Who built the house :?: I`ll avoid them when I want a new one :LOL:

Nige F said:
Who built the house :?: I`ll avoid them when I want a new one :LOL:

think its just a dodgy TRV even though MYSON aint the cheapes as my mate has the same problem with 1 of his rads.. Oh and the whistling aint always happening... may try balancing the lockshiled first to slow down flow when it happens again !!

ChrisRoberts said:
What tune is it whistling?
How many rads hav u got ,how many hav trv's how many r set low ,what speeds ya pump on do u hav an autobypass valve when hav u a combi ?

bab said:
ChrisRoberts said:
What tune is it whistling?
How many rads hav u got ,how many hav trv's how many r set low ,what speeds ya pump on do u hav an autobypass valve when hav u a combi ?

11 rads most set at high, potterton performa 28 boiler and unvented dhw... all trvs are open fully, not sure pump speed, not checked yet..

not came across this before so wondering the common reason for the whistling ?? Faulty TRV or flow speed to great etc ?? once I know the usual cause I cant rectify or have the TRV changed...

Gotta be the trv then. try taking the head off. should stop it closing which is probably when the whislting is happening. water rushing through small hole..... :rolleyes:

ChrisRoberts said:
Gotta be the trv then. try taking the head off. should stop it closing which is probably when the whislting is happening. water rushing through small hole..... :rolleyes:

thats my thinking too but being a new trv and it only occasionally happening puzzles me. Wasnt sure if balancing the lockshiled or slowing down the return would help so may try this first before reporting it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back