Whistling radiator bleed screw!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day I became aware of a "funny noise" emanating from the hall radiator. After a careful listen I realised that the squeaking/whistling noise was coming from one of the bleed screws (its a double-panel rad). I tried to tighten it up, but it was already fully tightened. Realising that air was getting into the CH system, I closed the rad valves, removed the screw, and wound some PTFE tape round its threads before refitting.

This solved the problem for a day, but yesterday I ended up repeating the process with a larger amount of PTFE. So.....can anyone advise me as to an appropriate sealing compound or such like that I can apply to the bleed screw to make a proper repair? I realise that some epoxy would certainly do (if it would survive the heat), but would render that bleed screw useless. I am thinking along the lines of a thread-lock or something, as the leak is clearly very small.

Unless of course, this is completely the wrong idea and I need a new radiator?

Thanks,
James.

Sponsored Links
does the bleed screw screw directly into the radiator? or is there a chrome cap (about 1" diameter). If the latter, you can replace the whole cap/bleed assembly (couple of quid from a plumbers merchants).

slippyr4 said:
does the bleed screw screw directly into the radiator? or is there a chrome cap (about 1" diameter). If the latter, you can replace the whole cap/bleed assembly (couple of quid from a plumbers merchants).

Nope; I am afraid that the bleed screw is just that: a tiny little screw with a square head that goes straight into the top of the radiator.

Sponsored Links
It's possible that the threads on the brass swrew have been damaged. You could check this by shutting both valves to the rad and removing and switching the screws from the two panels. If the problem has switched from one panel to the other then you need a new bleed screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back