'White collar' yobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let me say straight away that I hate the expression 'white collar' but I can't think of a simple alternative. Calling them middle class yobs isn't any better!

What I have in mind isn't thugs-turned-yuppies getting drunk and reverting to type. That's a different problem.

The kind of 'yobs' I mean are the ones who grab what they can from whoever they can and shout abuse or threaten court action if they don't get it. They are the ones who barge to the front of queues, whether as pedestrians or motorists. They sound off in bars and restaurants if the service isn't geared to them and them alone then, when asked to leave, they threaten to sue the owner. In short, they might use all the right knives and forks but they are completely devoid of manners.

I have just come across a good example of this kind of yobbery on an internal hospital forum. Somebody, somewhere had a spare kitten which they were trying to sell for £50. A little later, another spare kitten appeared for £30. Most recently a kitten was advertized as 'free to good home' and somebody else took it. They were horrified to receive a phone call the next day. The kitten's previous owner wanted it back and threatened to go to the police with an accusation of theft if it wasn't returned!

You can interpret this in many ways but it now seems that all three ads were placed by the same person with the same kitten. One distinct possibility is that someone turned up on her doorstep with cash in hand so she wanted it back to sell!

What I find so disgusting about all this is the readiness of somebody to shout "Thief" when they realize that they've given something away by mistake. Are such people really any better than common street scum?

Sponsored Links
Don't forget those standing at the Easyjet counter screaming for Stelios personally to be brought down to apologise for the fact that they weren't allowed on the plane because they only arrived 3 minutes before take-off

These are what sociologists would describe as "low status" people. This doesn't mean that they have a low social status, low pay, low education. What it generally means is that they have a lack of self-confidence and manners, and will take it out on anyone at any opportunity.

Here's an example. You are in a restaurant. The waiter or waitress stuffs up in some way: perhaps they add the bill up incorrectly, maybe they brought the wrong wine. Both simple mistakes that can be rectified by saying "Excuse me, wrong bill/wine." Most likely they will say "Oh, terribly sorry, I'll get the right one." Then you might say "No worries!" with a smile.

However a low-status man/woman would use this to try and boost their ego. "You! This is the wrong bl**dy wine! I ordered a Chablis, this is a Sancerre! Get me the right one!". The waiter might still apologise, the low-status moron would respond "I don't want your apologies, I want my bl**dy wine!", and at the end of the meal would ask for the manager.

I know this because I worked in a restaurant as a waiter, and saw both types of people regularly. I noticed that the worst age for a low-status male is around 30. Younger blokes don't generally seem to care so much, older blokes have probably learned that it isn't worth getting upset about something that can be rectified so easily.

However, low-status male, sociologist talk, I think they've probably just got a tiny pee-pee. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Last week I was a passenger in my bro's car on an empty Cornish Lane, doing about 15mph. In front of us was a woman with several passengers who was edging out of a driveway. It was obvious to both of us that she hadn't seen us, but instead of giving a quick pip on the horn to let her know we were coming he kept going untill we were about 2 metres away, blew his horn about 5 times and when she jumped out of her skin, slammed the brakes on and looked at us, he held his hands out and shrugged as if to say 'what the f**k are you doing?'.

I couldn't believe that he had done this and told him I thought his driving was worse than hers which he didn't like at all.

I'm sure he wasn't like this before he got a 4wd!

Back