White gloss - the work of the devil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Sand windowsill back to bare wood, admire smooth surface, wash with sugar soap, rinse, leave to dry. Smug feeling.
2. Apply 2 coats primer / undercoat. Looking good. Still smug.
3. Wipe any dust etc off the dry sill and ensure window shut, so no possibility of airborne particles, fallen leaves, sudden cats, dust.
4. Apply one coat Homebase white gloss with Harris no-loss brush.
5. Too little means streaky overspreading; too much means pool of gloss, now dripping off rounded edge of sill.
6. Bubbles forming in paint.
7. Lightly smooth brush through paint to deal with bubbles and even out coverage. Still optimistic.
8. All dust in room now attracted to windowsill.
9. Seemingly, the dust from the formation of the universe has waited until this moment to land on your windowsill.
10. Drip lines now forming on edge of sill. Run brush along lengthways…
11. Wet paint, now somehow drying too fast. Wet…but dry. How?
12. More corrective action with brush, leaving marks.
13. Put brush in white spirit, leave room, in hope that pool of gloss will somehow even itself out.
14. So bubbles and dust trapped in paint.
15. Chemical “high” from paint fumes lasts up to a week, have interesting dreams.
16. Leave to dry for many days, since instructions on tin are not to be believed.
17. Repeat process, having wiped the sill free of dust before second coat.
18. Some hope. View dust, bubble and drip line variety of textures with feeling of despair.
19. Will be hidden by curtains anyway.
20. Allow no object to be placed on the sill for at least 6 months. If then.

Am I paying for past sins? Wrong paint? Wrong brush? Any of this ring a bell with anyone? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
:LOL: Very amusing.
I hate that one coat gloss stuff. I really only use liquid gloss cause I find the one coat stuff runs like mad.

Gloss roller? Worked very well with tile paint which is similar consistency.

Yep, a gloss roller works really well with tile paint. A gloss roller ain't much use for painting architrave though. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Funny post BTW :D

I think your problems started when you bought the 'homebase paint', you seemed to have prepared the sill and followed through okay, so I would think it could be the paint.

I have painted hundreds of sills, and never have encountered that problem, but could be I always use 'dulux', perhaps the odd time 'crown.'

Yep, will never buy Homebase White Gloss again! Shame I bought 2 big tins thinking "they're all the same anyway surely". Ha ha.

It's not a one-coat gloss. But if it was, then maybe the dust would be trapped in only a single layer, instead of fossilised in strata of paint.

Would love to use a roller, but many a nook & cranny.

On the plus side, once it is dry, it's like concrete. Shiny concrete with an interesting texture.

Wait for it - skirting boards next.... :LOL:

Is EGGSHELL finish any easier?

gcol said:
I hate that one coat gloss stuff. I really only use liquid gloss cause I find the one coat stuff runs like mad.
Ahaaaa.....so it wasn't one coat gloss, it was one coat of gloss. :eek:

Perhaps one coat gloss would have been better :)

Growler said:
gcol said:
Ahaaaa.....so it wasn't one coat gloss, it was one coat of gloss. :eek:

Perhaps one coat gloss would have been better :)
Ya lost me. :confused:

Sorry the paint fumes must be affecting my grammar (amongst other things)

Why No-Loss brush the worst in the world? What would be a better brush?

I thought it seemed to leave a lot of blunt brush marks, but thought it was just down to me... :eek:

Should I get a decent pure bristle brush or will this just add brush hairs to the wonderful texture I have built up so far? :LOL:

Don't use gloss, it looks naff and shows up imperfections. Use eggshell or silk, it's trendy, more forgiving and looks smart and low-key.

I'm going to start painting now, while all the dust in the world is stuck to your window sill! :cool:

What brushes would people here recommend? I've already come to the conclusion that Dulux seems to be the favoured brand by most people with any experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back