Who owns the fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...

I've just moved into a new house and we have a border fence running down the garden between us and the neighbours.

Looking at the plans it doesn't define who owns the fence, I read somewhere that if the posts are on their side of the fence its theirs or is it the other way around?

Could anyone clarify this for me?

Many thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
New as in Brand new......ask the builder. OR Land Registr/ Deeds@ solicitor

the convention was that the owner of the fence faced the good side of the panel towards his neighbour, however that seems to be going increasingly out of the window these days

Sponsored Links
If you want to be sure phone the land registry give them your deed reference and ask them to bring up on screen.

The owner of the fence will have a letter T identified within the boundary. This is generally only show on the drawing held by them.

Thermo said:
the convention was that the owner of the fence faced the good side of the panel towards his neighbour, however that seems to be going increasingly out of the window these days

Yep, I had a new fence erected several years ago by a well respected local erector, I asked for the 'maintainable' (prone to damage) side of the fence to face me, he was mildly surprised that the 'smooth' side was to face the neighbour.

Ref plans :- I think there are little arrowheads on the boundary line relating to hedge / fence ownership .... Can be a nightmare !! Better to assume (by agreement) control of the boundary before a neighbourly plank fires the Leylandi in ... Cheaper in the loong run !! ;)

Working on building sites its currently as follows,
Looking from your back wall out you own the fence to the left of you, the right is your neighbours.
In most cases your fence will have the posts and rails visible.

skybluescooby said:
Working on building sites its currently as follows,
Looking from your back wall out you own the fence to the left of you, the right is your neighbours.
In most cases your fence will have the posts and rails visible.

However round here the fence is on the right!!!

Just goes to show you cant tell from what people say :rolleyes:

Thermo said:

Probably because a lot of people cant tell which is the good side :!: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back