Whole house pumping and secondary circulation .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doea anyone know the best way to provide secondary circulation where say a salamander pump or similar is providing whole house HW.??

Sponsored Links
Don't even think about it.

The secondary return would be under presure, therefore the storage tank would flood, what would control the pump as any movement would hold it on.

What you should do is install a break tank, pump set and an un-vented cylinder, and pump the cold feed, the secondary circuit can then be connected as normal for an unvented cylinder.

This will work if the flow switch in the main pump is directional.
The triangles in circles are pumps, the one with the bar is a one-way valve, and the cross is a gate valve to restrict flow.
If the main pump flow switch is not directional but you reduce the 2ndr circ enough it won't switch on.
It is not a neg head type pump.
Posspump1.gif

There are other ways...
PossPump2.gif

O dear Chris, back to the drawing board please.

The first drawing will no work because you are trying to circulate cold/warm water, and in any case it will not return through the booster pump.

The second drawing will blast the water through the cylinder and into the storage tank every time the booster pump runs.

Sponsored Links
The first drawing will no work because you are trying to circulate cold/warm water
Nope. The cyl water gets stirred - makes no difference

and in any case it will not return through the booster pump.
Yes it will - when the booster pump isn't running of course!

The second drawing will blast the water through the cylinder and into the storage tank every time the booster pump runs.
No, it won't. The water circulating through the pump goes.....through the pump :idea: !

Not going to argue with you Chris, it won't work, end of story as far as I'm concerned.

Forget the circulating water and think Booster pump.

Your second drawing Chris.

Surely when the whole house delivery pump operates (as and when someone opens a tap or turns on a shower ) then the water will take the secondary return water route back to the cylinder. :( thats assuming the WHP (whole house pump) fires up via the flow switch as another outlet is provided to the taps lower down which could deliver cooler water.
I think it also rules out using a negative head system. :(
(and thanks for the replys by the way, much appreciated)

OK guys, get a load of this, you can shoot me down if you wish.

I specify a cylinder with a second coil fitted in the top section.
The WHP (whole house pump) pumps the hot through this coil any time someone opens a tap.
On the return leg of the secondary loop is fitted the secondary circulation pump (could be the grundfos comfort with integral timer)
then NRV and T's into the main supply branch before the top coil.

The secondary circulation now takes it heat from the top coil inside the pressurised side of system so the negative head system can be used.

Brilliant, if I knew what you was talking about.

Where does the WHP gets its water from

The WHP gets its water as usual via a surrey or essex flange Doitall.
The cylinder remains vented as usual .
Basically what I am suggesting is circulating the secondary loop through the top coil

The heat is then delivered indirectly to the loop instead of directly when pumped through the cylinder as in conventional systems.

Bigburn said:
The WHP gets its water as usual via a surrey or essex flange Doitall.
The cylinder remains vented as usual .

So whats the extra coil for.

Bigburn said:
Does that re-edited post help ??.

No, :rolleyes:

If you insist there are two ways of doing it.

The obvious way is to pump into the cold feed of an unvented cylinder.

The only other way and it can starve the pump unless you install oversize pipes, and that is to feed the WHP from the secondary circuit.

An unvented cylinder is not an option in this case Doitall.

Bigburn said:

An unvented cylinder is not an option in this case Doitall.

Why ??????? you have a cold tank, you have a pump, all you need is a cylinder. Then you connect the WHP to the cold storage tank and the outlet becomes the cold feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back