Why ask for your National Insurance number on a job app form

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just in the process of filling out an application form for a job with Manchester City Council.

On the form they ask for your NI number. Now when asking for it on the form it also says "if known". Does that mean that they arent really bothered if you supply it or nor.

But I wonder what is the main reason that they ask for you NI number. I just assumed they wanted to ensure that all applicants are entitled to work in the UK.

A mate of mine said that maybe "they" want to check you NI contributions in the past. I'm very sceptical about this. I would have though this information was confidential, Data Protection and all that.

If anybody can shed some light on the matter it would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Taz

Sponsored Links
Ask MCC not an internet forum. Bureaucratic organisations generally collect lots of information, it's why they they exist, they don't have to have a reason, so there's no chance of anyone else guessing what the reason is.

just part of the normal screening process when applying for any governmental job. NI number is the best id until the proper id system comes in.

I just filled out a claim on holiday insurance for a cancelled holiday and they too wanted an NI number. What possible relevance is that to an insurance claim? Had to put it in otherwise they would have sent the form back as incomplete. :confused:

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
I just filled out a claim on holiday insurance for a cancelled holiday and they too wanted an NI number. What possible relevance is that to an insurance claim? Had to put it in otherwise they would have sent the form back as incomplete. :confused:
Holiday insurance, possible claim for medical problem? and possible stay under countries NHS if they have reciprocal agreement system there.

taz999 said:
Just in the process of filling out an application form for a job with Manchester City Council.

On the form they ask for your NI number. Now when asking for it on the form it also says "if known". Does that mean that they arent really bothered if you supply it or nor.

But I wonder what is the main reason that they ask for you NI number. I just assumed they wanted to ensure that all applicants are entitled to work in the UK.

A mate of mine said that maybe "they" want to check you NI contributions in the past. I'm very sceptical about this. I would have though this information was confidential, Data Protection and all that.

If anybody can shed some light on the matter it would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Taz

Maybe, JUST maybe, it is so that when you get the job, they can start paying NI contributions from your wages. Ever noticed on your past payslips where it says National insurance? Not realised the link here yet? :rolleyes:

Back