Why does my 2nd coat form a bubbly finish?! HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im busy painting the staircase using a crown matt emulsion paint. The first coat went onto the white emulsion background smooth and flat but the second coat is coming out in a bubbly finish - you can see the tiny bubbles forming and its driving me mad. Its only doing it on the first coat of cream emulsion and not the white emulsion base. WHY?

I need this finished by xmas or she'll kill me - Please advise!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Could be anything.usually matt onto silk.. tho I had this once myself.. I just rubbed over the bubbles with a dryish brush before paint dried.. a couple of bubbles remained when paint dried which i abraded and touched in.
Other questions : was the smooth white base old? maybe soft sheen?
Did you let first coat dry full befor 2nd coat?

Sponsored Links
i had experience of this. I came to the conclusion (with help on here) that the first coat went onto a surface which had rubbed down polyfilla dust on it. The first coat was ok but the second (and any others) caused tiny pinhead bubbles. Is this poss in your case?

Change you roller sleeve for a different type

I had the bubbling problem when painting emulsion and found that changing the roller to a thicker/woolier one helped

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back