Why has DIYNOT got a electrics forum?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the point of lets call them non-qualified/trained electricians posting on this forum? As most of the time, your just gonna get some crap snidey response that does not help anyone. Oh so because your a sparky, you can post back a response saying "call in an electrician to do the job, as your not qualifed". Hello but is this not a DIY forum or NOT!

I can fully understand and appreciate that electricity can kill, and some of your concerns. But there are some, who think its big to post non-helpful messages. If you do not want to help then get-stuffed and don't reply.

Now this is to some of you DIY folk (myself included). Think before you post, and stop feeding these guys (and gals) ammo! Posts like

1) I want to put a TV in the loft and feed it off the shower circuit! How do I do it?
2) I have some christmas lights, that are for indoor use. Can I use them outside (**$%@*%)

These are just two that come to mind, and I'm not picking on anyone. But these are the types of post that make some of this forums members feel superior!

I must say however, that there are some very helpful and respected members on this forum. It's just a shame, that there are some rotten apples.

Message to the mods
1) You once told me off, and stated that this is a DIY forum, for asking a question, about a building quote. When it fact it would have involved a significant about of DIY. So my question is, should I call in a sparky or should just I post my questions on DIYNOT.
2)In your rules, you say swearing is not big etc. How about making a rule about crap comments?

Right, rant over.

Bazdaa

Sponsored Links
Baz..you have to consider one thing...YOU, as in the poster, know the situation your attempting to describe, even if you don't know how to achieve what you want. The problem is that often it is not easy to give a clear responce to a vague post or a daft post, as you yourself has hinted at.

I agree that there are some good forum members and some bad, but generally even the helpful have their off days..

Some here know my opinion of DIY and electricity..the two simply do not mix..but if I feel helpful i will post a reply, though generally I read and snigger!!

I would suggest that you ask your question, but I would also suggest that you consider a professional electrician for the work if it is very involved as it may be less hassle and quicker...

I see this has been moved, so that the offending people dont get thier feelings hurt. It's OK, I understand.

Bazdaa

Please read note in your post lower down

There is an electrics forum to help people, trouble is most peple think that any electrcial work is easy, and when the correct reply is posted people do not always like the answer (like you, regarding PAT testing)

Sponsored Links
Big_Spark said:
Baz..you have to consider one thing...YOU, as in the poster, know the situation your attempting to describe, even if you don't know how to achieve what you want. The problem is that often it is not easy to give a clear responce to a vague post or a daft post, as you yourself has hinted at.

I agree that there are some good forum members and some bad, but generally even the helpful have their off days..

Some here know my opinion of DIY and electricity..the two simply do not mix..but if I feel helpful i will post a reply, though generally I read and snigger!!

I would suggest that you ask your question, but I would also suggest that you consider a professional electrician for the work if it is very involved as it may be less hassle and quicker...

I totally agree. I think its all about knowing your limits, and making sure you do your reseach. Now if someone makes a stupid post, then fine, flame them. But some people are just constantly doing the same thing, all the time, and its winding me up.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

breezer said:
There is an electrics forum to help people, trouble is most peple think that any electrcial work is easy, and when the correct reply is posted people do not always like the answer (like you, regarding PAT testing)

Your one of the biggest culprits. Why not just keep you mouth shut, as your not helping anyone. How is "Option 4A read the manual" any help?

Bazdaa

Please read forum rules, 10a

I have moved the post because it is not an electrical question, but a forum question

Bazdaa said:
Your one of the biggest culprits. Why not just keep you mouth shut, as your not helping anyone.

On the contrary, i am usually most helpful, its just that you do not like my opinion /advice

no one asks you to read or post on these forums, if you dont like it you can go elsewhere

breezer said:
no one asks you to read or post on these forums, if you dont like it you can go elsewhere

Yeah! Iknow, let's get everybody so ****ed off that NO one bothers to visit the forums (except freddie and kendor of course), that 'll make admin think......

Um.........that's not really a good public relations approach though, further, I consider telling ANYONE that if they don't like something, they can **** off is particularly offensive, and it works both ways.

Big_Spark said:
DIY and electricity..the two simply do not mix.

Yes they do, approached sensibly there is no more danger than other areas of DIY such as using a ladder or changing your own brake pads etc.

Bazdaa said:
What is the point of lets call them non-qualified/trained electricians posting on this forum? As most of the time, your just gonna get some rubbish snidey response that does not help anyone. Oh so because your a sparky, you can post back a response saying "call in an electrician to do the job, as your not qualifed". Hello but is this not a DIY forum or NOT!

I can fully understand and appreciate that electricity can kill, and some of your concerns. But there are some, who think its big to post non-helpful messages. If you do not want to help then get-stuffed and don't reply.

Now this is to some of you DIY folk (myself included). Think before you post, and stop feeding these guys (and gals) ammo! Posts like

1) I want to put a TV in the loft and feed it off the shower circuit! How do I do it?
2) I have some christmas lights, that are for indoor use. Can I use them outside (**$%@*%)

These are just two that come to mind, and I'm not picking on anyone. But these are the types of post that make some of this forums members feel superior!

I must say however, that there are some very helpful and respected members on this forum. It's just a shame, that there are some rotten apples.

Message to the mods
1) You once told me off, and stated that this is a DIY forum, for asking a question, about a building quote. When it fact it would have involved a significant about of DIY. So my question is, should I call in a sparky or should just I post my questions on DIYNOT.
2)In your rules, you say swearing is not big etc. How about making a rule about rubbish comments?

Right, rant over.

Bazdaa

You forgot the comulsory "Do tou know about part P, Are you qualified under Part P" response to every question asked!!!!! ;)

Bazdaa said:
What is the point of lets call them non-qualified/trained electricians posting on this forum? As most of the time, your just gonna get some rubbish snidey response that does not help anyone. Oh so because your a sparky, you can post back a response saying "call in an electrician to do the job, as your not qualifed". Hello but is this not a DIY forum or NOT!

Message to the mods
2)In your rules, you say swearing is not big etc. How about making a rule about rubbish comments?

Right, rant over.

Bazdaa

Its quite clear that you are very upset about the way you have been treated by certain people on this forum. I must say first of all that I sympathise with you, as some of the comments made by certain people can a little rude. You must understand however the position of the people "Experts" giving advice. Just think how they would feel if they were to give advice and someone were to get badly hurt or (God Forbid) killed because of the person doing the job was not competent. Please think about the following for a moment before you repost.

Would you give advice to someone if you thought they were incompetent and could possibly be hurt or killed as a result of YOUR advice?

keyplayer said:
Big_Spark said:
DIY and electricity..the two simply do not mix.

Yes they do, approached sensibly there is no more danger than other areas of DIY such as using a ladder or changing your own brake pads etc.

That's a personal opinion, however I have seen the aftermath of some dodgy DIY..and it isn't pretty..especially one that caused a fire where people had died...(I was only an apprentice at the time..it was some 20 odd years ago..)

BlueIce said:
Would you give advice to someone if you thought they were incompetent and could possibly be hurt or killed as a result of YOUR advice?

This is really getting a bit melodramatic. This forces an answer to agree with the social expectation rather than being able to give a reasoned answer. It is not a helpful approach. However, I am not intimidated by this bullying approach. There is far more likelyhood of someone driving a car will kill someone than a botched bit of electrics doing the same, yet both driving instructors and driving examiners manage to live with their consionces (ugh! sorry about the spelling).

I agree it is a bit of a problem on the personal level, and for some particular people I would do everything possible to eliminate any misfortune they might suffer, but, in the world view, what's the problem? There are over 6,000,000,000 people on earth and increasing fast. SOMETHING'S going to get a lot more than a few, and possibly soon. A cocked up electric installation will be insignificant.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Big_Spark said:
That's a personal opinion, however I have seen the aftermath of some dodgy DIY..and it isn't pretty..especially one that caused a fire where people had died...(I was only an apprentice at the time..it was some 20 odd years ago..)

Fair enough point, but we can all do that, I've seen the result of several other diy activities during a long stay in hospital, none of it's pretty. What do we do? Ban everything unless you're a professional, (who incidentally commit some of the worst cock-ups)?

Tell that to the families of electrocution victims.

Remember the high profile story of an MP's daughter (?) who was killed because of a poor install?

She was electrocuted when simultaneously touching a live shelf and a dishwasher (I believe).

The shelf was live because a screw had pierced the (meandering) cable feeding a socket below.

Now, the install may well have been safe otherwise, but because of that wandering cable, someone died.

My point is you don't have to make glaringly dangerous eff-ups (like using undersized cables, or chopping out the cpc) to make a potentially dangerous install.

Melodramatic Jim is not.

I usually find that shouting abuse and insults at people is not the best way to bring them to appreciate your point of view.

Sponsored Links
Back