why is pump jammed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up this morning to no CH/HW and the display on my 20 yr old Potterton EP 2000 was blank.

So I checked the electrics - all fine.

Changed the main fuse to the pump / 3 way valve / control box and the display came back on.

Switched it to 24 to try and get a response from the system and there was a very brief pump noise - then just straining and silence.

Concluded the pump was jammed (checked by undoing the air bleed bit - I can spin the impellor a bit - then it gets jammed).

This is a new pump (couple of months).

Question is - how can I clear out the pump? I am not an expert (as you may be able to tell!). Do I have to take the whole thing out? If so, how do I isolate the water flow to stop my flat getting flooded as well as very cold..?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
should be
p1809387_l.jpg
one of these either side of your pump. (it may have a "different tap" ) but you just turn them off

thanks breezer.

Ok - so I've isolated the water flow. Whats the best way of taking the pump apart? Should I use an alan key to remove the front motor section? (Sorry don't have a pic but assume they all look the same)..

Sponsored Links
Quite possibly - the plumber that fitted it did it for cash - its definately brand new but not sure where the docs are.

I don't think the pump has had a mechanical failure. I think theres crud due to my aging and failing system (low water content - Thorn Apollo which is also shutting off occassionally - probably for related reasons).

Just want to clear the crud out. Mind you - you are the xperts - not me.

i believe the 4 "screws" will remove the motor, giving yopu access to the impellar. question is how did XX get in there? unless your system really is falling apart

breezer. You are right. The system is falling apart.

I am falling apart with it..

The boiler has been playing up for a bit (loud banging - shut off). Lately I have been able to get it working for 2 week periods by lifting some floorboards upstairs and giving the pipees a bit of a shake. Not sure if this works by clearing trapped air.

When the boiler problems first occured - the plumber came in and changed the 3 way valve and the pump and it worked again for a while.

Thing is - there is a small leak "above" the pump. Its leaking v slowly over it and leaving crusty stuff.

Also one of the TRVs on one of the rads downstairs is just spinning freely..I am getting the system changed when I can get the money together - but any suggestions for short term fixes would be nice - a bonus. Thanks for your help already..

buckmoy said:
I am getting the system changed when I can get the money together - but any suggestions for short term fixes would be nice - a bonus. Thanks for your help already..
Is there water in the F&E tank in the loft?

Yes there is - dipped a hammer in there (! its up high - little space between roof and tank) and it is about half full. Full of crud though - the hammer came out covered in cak.

kevplumb said:
oy masona

Is there water in the F&E tank in the loft?

stop nicking my "stock" question :LOL:
:LOL:

Oh all right then, how about is there any air in the F&E tank? :D

ok..masona and kevplumb..

air in the F&E tank. Yes - its got an open top. Its was probably meant as a joke but difficult to laugh with ice encrusted on vocal chords.

FLushing it out = emergency services if I try and do it myself I suspect.

Plumber time. Thanks for your help though.

Have you bleed the pump yet? (centre screw) Does the water dribble out?

ok :confused:

have drained the system anyway.

just wanted to check the impellor in the pump before refilling/

The pump is a pretty standard 3 speed one - made by Circulating Pumps Ltd. The motor housing is helpd onto the impellor housing by 2 alan key screws - one at each corner.

They are v v stiff - any clues / tips for getting them off? tried "shocking" the area with a chsiel to remove crud. Tried levering the alan key but worried the whole wall is going to cave in with the force I'm putting through!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back