Why the goddamnhellfire would someone do this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has previously had a conservatory added to the back of the house, joining onto the kitchen. As I'm quickly discovering, all their DIY attempts on the house are a complete joke, and everything's done in inconceivably stupid ways! (Note, all these disasters were by the previous occupants, not me!)

The latest is, I took off the horrendous dado rail they had in the kitchen. However, the kitchen/conservatory windows, they've actually cut the UPVC frame AROUND the wooden dado rail. WHY????????????? Surely it's common sense to cut the dado instead. I'm absolutely furious. So there's a 4 inch gap in the inside window surround!!!! Can I buy a section of this UPVC to fill the gap?

Oh and on the other side, 4ft from the sink, they've cut the window around the tiles. Again, WHY??????????? An absolutely shocking job. I've had to chisel the tiles off and leave the bits that are embedded in the frame. Once upon a time though, before the conservatory was added, these windows were the outside windows! Sheesh! :rolleyes:[/i]

Sponsored Links
Had similar problem in my recently moved into property, previous occupants had dbl glazed window fitted in living room, they already had ornamental fireplace & two matching tiled shelves (they looked ok but not for me) the window frame had been cut to fit the shelving, to have removed part of the shelving perhaps would have taken 30 mins. Luckily I know a window fitter. He came and added a piece, very good job, was well worth the drink. Also in master bedroom the prev occupants fitted the curtain rail so low that again the window frame had to be cut for the centre support.

There are DIYers & there Bodgers

could you not get a plastic fillet the correct width and fit it full length

when you say 4 inches do you mean in hight :?: :?:

big all

Yeah, it's about 1.25in thick, and a 4in high section has been cut out. Hopefully I'll be able to get a piece the same to fit into the gap. The side with the bits of tiles in it doesn't look too bad now cos the tiles were white and are obviously white in the middle, so you can't really see them unless you're up close. I'll put a plant pot in the way or something to hide it!!

If I get a piece to fit, what do I fix UPVC to the plaster with?

Honestly, if I ever find the people who lived in my house before me I'll kill them for the sake of the gene pool!!

Sponsored Links
Christ - I've just had a good look around the house inspecting the UPVC frames etc and just discovered the same is done with the FRONT DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!! The frame has been cut around two stupid godawful pieces of dado rail. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHH GODDAMIT!

I want to build my own house from scratch. That way I won't have to put up with anyone else's RIDICULOUS decorating decisions.

All I'm missing now is the money... :LOL:

When you do build your house, remember not to use PVC windows. Wood is much better.

Seems I have been lucky. The stupidest thing I found in my flat was that they had used masking tape to conceal a cable before painting over it. Easy to fix.

Cutting uPVC to fit around a dado rail? Did they wake up in the morning and think "You know what, it's my ambition to get a slap. I'll dedicate today to making sure that I get one."

i must admit ive been confused by this thread

yes unlucky it sounds but

does the dado rail stop inside the plastic of the frame
or do you have dado rail on what is now an outside wall
i mean one side of window is inside other should be ouside

big all

For the windows - they're between the kitchen and conservatory so not exposed to the outside (unless you decided to take the conservatory down in the future). As for the front door...well I'll have to inspect it further.
When we moved in there was a huge temperature difference between the hall and living room, because the front door hadn't been sealed - at all! I had to put sealant right the way around, then discovered a 2inch high gap under the door with bare breeze block which was freezing! So that's been insulated and covered now. I'm hoping the dado doesn't go right through...I think I might just have to keep the damn thing on and paint it white...cos it'll be noticeable around the front door if I've had to patch the UPVC.

The more I inspect my house the more I despair...am I just a perfectionist or NORMAL? :rolleyes:

it doesnt take more than one brain cell to work out

one strait cut on dado is easier and cleaner than
having to scribe round a large plastic edged pannel

ffffiiiikkkk or what :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big all

minxlj said:
....... The more I inspect my house the more I despair...am I just a perfectionist or NORMAL? :rolleyes:

No and No ........ Close inspection before purchase would be normal.

The right price takes into account 'making good'.

P

I wasn't there when Ian (now my fiance) bought the house, this was before we were going out. He's a man, he doesn't do 'close inspection' on important things... ;)

I found loads of faults when I finally got a look at the place. But in fairness, it was his first own home, and 'beggars can't be choosers' as they say. He only had a certain amount of money and this property is in a nice area, with a conservatory, private garage, and gardens. The price took into account it didn't have heating etc and compared to others he looked at, it was pretty reasonably priced.

We've fixed up the house nicely, installed everything it needed, and now doing a new kitchen. The bank just valued it at 2.5 times what he paid for it - not bad as it's only 3 years since he bought it. I wouldn't want a perfect house as I'd have no DIY to do! :D

I'd love to buy a run-down house and do it all up.

That's fair enough, I reckon that most people don't know what to be looking for until their second house. Then you have experience of it. I am on my first place. I wasn't sure what to look for so I took along my godmother and my mum to help me check places over.

I reckon when I move up I will have a big checklist with me when I go for viewings. Might be slightly annoying for the vendor, but if I'm paying then I'm checking! :LOL:

AdamW said:
I reckon when I move up I will have a big checklist with me when I go for viewings.
That's what the toilet roll are for :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back