wierd floating electrical current

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a wierd one ....
Fitted a stainless steel extractor and after a few weeks kept getting shocks from it, got an electrical current detector thingy from B&Q and it buzzed when near the body of the extractor. Disconnected it turned on the electric, "electrical current detector thingy from B&Q" still picking up a current from the body... thought must have caught a power cable with a fixing and therefore making it live, so took the whole thing off the wall.
Now I am getting a buzzing from the "electrical current detector thingy from B&Q" when its in the air about a foot from the wall and a foot from the ceiling to the right of where the extractor was as if there was current suspended in mid air!!!
Put the "electrical current detector thingy from B&Q" near the power cord of the kettle and shows current is present but only about an inch away so its not that sensitve it would pick up current a foot away behind plasterbooard.

Any clues anyone

Sponsored Links
1) Throw the "electrical current detector thingy from B&Q" in the bin

2) Get proper test equipment and learn how to use it or call an electrician to find out why you were getting shocks from the cooker hood. Given the possible seriousness of such a problem, I'd advise the latter...

Thats usefull !!!!!!!!!!!
Your obviosly an electrician who hates diyers...
Any one else have anything constructive to help out

Funnily enough B-A-S is right.

What were you expecting, a complete course in how to use a multimeter?

You don't own one and your technical descriptions are vague.

Try being concise and tell us exactly what you want.

Sponsored Links
sheppy, buy a cheap autoranging multimeter, and measure the voltage (ac) between the extractor body and an earth point (metal screw on a socket, metal sink).

Those buzzing detector things can detect current for a good couple of feet sometimes - it might have picked up on a cable in next doors house! Throw it away and invest in decent detector ie. a multimeter ( £8ish )

sheppy100 said:
Thats usefull !!!!!!!!!!!
Your obviosly an electrician who hates diyers...
Any one else have anything constructive to help out

and whats wrong with the telling you the proper way to do it? those detectors are unreliable. i have 1 lyin around that often goes off in presence of an earth cable. (or in the middle of a field with the nearest cable bein overhead about 2 miles away)

Thanks crafty for a decent answer, everyone else on here are soooo b itchy I thought I 'd come on to a girls forum....
For their information I have done a part p course and all final terminations checked OK...
But your right I don't know how to use a multimeter, doesn't make me a bad person though...

sheppy100 said:
Thanks crafty for a decent answer, everyone else on here are soooo b itchy I thought I 'd come on to a girls forum....
For their information I have done a part p course and all final terminations checked OK...
But your right I don't know how to use a multimeter, doesn't make me a bad person though...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sheppy, the advice given by Ban all sheds, whilst blunt and to the point, was spot on.

Doing a Part P course does not make you tecnically proficent, and your comments on here prove that. I can only concur with the comments that you should seek professional, or at least competent help to resolve your obvious serious problem.

sheppy100 said:
For their information I have done a part p course

i doubt it. otherwise youd know that you have a tool which is useless.

A part P course?

Oh!

B A S is correct (as usuall).

I got a call from a couple who insisted the lighting circuit cpc (earth) was
"Live" the decorator had discovered it with his cheap detector thingy.

So I asked him to check his metal step ladders also, Guess what "They were live too" I think not. Then I got him to check himself "He was live" LOL.
He decided to thro the thingy away.

I never said it was reliable, all I said was that it was detecting something...and was asking how is it possible to be live whilst disconnected...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back