Wife going crazy..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our new home 5 months ago. Built about 1950-60 I reckon.
There is a horrific musty smell, mainly in the kitchen but sometimes through the plugholes in the upstairs bathroom.
It seems to get worse when it rains.
In the kitchen, I pin-pointed the smell and lifted a few floorboards. Underneath the joists is a shaft made of brick, about 4 feet square and coated with bitumen. There was 6 inches of stagnant water inside. I drained this but the smell is still there.
I notice after a heavy rainfall that the water drains away outside through one particular area of monoblocking. Does this indicate a collapsed drain below ground level?
There are no visible rodding eyes or manhole covers anywhere.
And does anyone know what that brick thingy is?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
may be better to ask an architect or engineer to have a look, their first visit is usually free if there is any proper work for them to have a look at i.e if you are thinking of extending and need advice.
Regards Clive

Sponsored Links
i am wondering do you live in a high water table area, and is the thing you are looking at a sump / drain?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back