Window in Single Skin Garage Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am planning on adding a window to the side of our garage. I have checked with planning and we are fine as the window will face into our land and will not over look anyone elses property/land.

As the wall is single skin (marshallite stone blocks) and the window will be 4 ft wide is this the correct lintel so that is does not show on the outside of the garage?

http://www.igltd.co.uk/diagrams/diagram.php?LID=54

I have added openings before but these have always been internal so either a concrete or metal lintel was used which was covered in plaster board.

Cheers

Robert

Sponsored Links
a concrete lintol would be the cheap option that most would follow, bearing 6" on either side ?
the metal ones look a bit fancy

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The only thing i am worried about with a conrete lintel is that it will show on the outside due to being a single skin. The garage is made of buff marshalite stone so a grey lintel will look out of place.

I was hoping to use one of the angled metal versions so it would not show on the outside.

Would this work?

Cheers

Robert

Yes the single skin L shaped lintels are designed to be almost invisible externally.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.

Looks like a trip to the local builders yard at the weekend!!

Cheers

Robert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back