Window re putty and painting in one day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I will be going to a property to remove the falling out and loose putty in the window frames, re putty then repaint with gloss.

My question is what is the best 'putty' to use, assuming it will be putty, or should I use something else? Ideally needs to be quick drying stuff.

Thanks all

Boons :cool:

Sponsored Links
If your going to use Linseed oil putty then you can paint this straight away as the oil in the putty will want to come out as it dries for some days after. If you need to paint the same day you could try using a wooden bead of the same profile, most of the DIY's will sell them, pre prime it and this can be painted when finished.

I've got a glazier re-puttying some windows for me (I couldn't achieve the finish they do so worth the couple of quid). I asked how long I would have to wait to paint them and his response was 'the quicker the better'.

I've got a glazier re-puttying some windows for me (I couldn't achieve the finish they do so worth the couple of quid). I asked how long I would have to wait to paint them and his response was 'the quicker the better'.

His job is to putty the glass, he obviously isn't clued up on the painting side of things.

Sponsored Links
If I were in a hurry I'd use car body filler - I use it for endless tasks and it never lets me down. You can paint that within 15 minutes.

You shouldnt paint the putty til its hardened-off a bit..Anything from 2 days to a month depending on the weather.. If you want an instant-permanent-paint-the-same-day fix then do as Joe says - use Isopon p38 car body filler , works a treat I do it all the time ;)

His job is to putty the glass, he obviously isn't clued up on the painting side of things.

Don't deny that, was surprised myself but I would expect him to know how putty reacts. Maybe he's going to use a non oil based putty or something..will see when he comes this week.

If your going to use Linseed oil putty then you can paint this straight away as the oil in the putty will want to come out as it dries for some days after.

Did you mean "can't" paint straight away ? I'm confused...

You can get glazing putty in a mastic gun tube that dries in about four hours,geocel i think. Then prime with zinsser coverstain, then straight on with your topcoats,after keying of course. Remember to prime wood prior to puttying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back