windows ME

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Windows ME has become unstable, System Restore has disappeared from system so unable to restore, option to turn it on in System dialog is ghosted, have another program that has a button to turn it back on but when pressed an error comes up saying system restore doen't exist on the system.
Anyway what i want to do is a repair to windows but the laptop is a Time one with OS pre installed so no CD's only a floppy disk which starts Norton Ghost and Restores PC to factory settings Hard disk wiped clean!
How can i go about doing a Windows repair so that i can keep all the stuff i have on my hard drive? I don't have access to be able to copy over or backup all my data onto another drive or PC so is there a way to activate the windows setup thats on the hidden partition?

Sponsored Links
insult.gif

Thanks Pipme, The problem is quite serious i believe, i have plenty of disk space, it seems system restore has completely disappeared from pc along with PChealth which is the Help and support file.
the system is very unstable, i believe there are several essential files,dll's missing, there used to be a free program for win 95 that ran a full diagnostic of the pc and downloaded any missing files which completely fixed my old pc when it became unstable but after much surfing i'm unable to find the equivalent for ME the best i could find was pc pitstop which showed all ok?!!
I may have to resort to a complete factory restore which i'm loathe to do as i have many downloaded programs, games etc which took ages to download and some upgrades are no longer available to me.
If i could get the windows repair working like i can with my win 95 machine it might help but i wasn't supplied the disks as it was pre installed on my laptop. I downloaded an executable from microsofts support which said it would do just what i wanted and repair but after downloading when it went to run an error came up saying already installed so if it is where is it?? if it refers to the add program installer/uninstaller then this doesn't have any option for repair.

Sponsored Links
when i had win 98 (still have on 2 pc's) at least once a year i would fornat the hd and reinstall everthing from scratch.

I also keep a copy (back up) of all important info so its not a problem.

But here is the odd thing.

Since the other two pc's do not know what the internet is, they have never gone wrong, needed formatting, that has always struck me as being odd

As a very long shot, Is that download from M$ looking in the registry to check if already installed ? Could be referenced but not on system ?

Perhaps time for either an external usb drive or a second HD ... I picked up a 20gb WesternDigital Caviar (internal) for £25 in a PCWorld sale ... brand new with WD guarantee.
I have scouted around M$ and various sites but nothing on your particular problem. ...

P

pipme said:
Have you tried surface check with Scandisk in auto repair mode ?
What about repairing the registry ?
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:ZAN898jtaggJ:www.putergeek.com/scanreg/+'repair+winme'&hl=en
Worth a shot if you have no backup at all.

P
Yes and yes, The problem with copying installed programs is knowing where all the files are, also it's the important ones that had upgrades which installed from the internet without choice of saving the installer which i can't replace, Thanks for your efforts, I suspect that what will happen is that eventually it will become so unworkable that i'll get so fed up that i'll close my eyes and grit my teeth and go for a factory reset and lose the lot :cry:

Thanks Eddie, looks like i'm going to be busy at the weekend :)

How much RAM have you?

It has been said that Windows Me encounters reliability problems with more than 512MB RAM. Just the same as windows 95 won't work at 500Mhz or above (due to a 'bug'). Or Windows XP has product activation, which Microsoft will eventually not support. Don't we all love Microsoft's humanitarian, high-quality customer service ways?

ZenStalinist said:
How much RAM have you?

It has been said that Windows Me encounters reliability problems with more than 512MB RAM. Just the same as windows 95 won't work at 500Mhz or above (due to a 'bug'). Or Windows XP has product activation, which Microsoft will eventually not support. Don't we all love Microsoft's humanitarian, high-quality customer service ways?
Only 128mb but the laptop had been working fine for some time.
Update: someone is going to loan me the ME cd's so i should hopefully be able to do a repair instead of a reset.

goodluck.

I dont want to say this, but being as its not the origonal cd, (or is it?) it may reject it as such.

Sponsored Links
Back