Windows movie maker problems/mp3 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi trying to edit some of my camcorder tapes and add music to them but having a few problems.

I have an old CD with MP3's on it and when I try to import them it locks up Window Movie maker. I did get one to work by changing it in properties from open with winamp to open with windows media player but it only worked with one for some reason and wont work with the others and I am not sure why this would even make a difference, I was just grasping at straws when I tried it. What is causing the problem here?

Also I tried to get some off a cd but it comes up blank ( nothing to select) I suppose something to do with copywrite etc. I copied one with windows explorer to my PC but Movie maker still wont see it as a possible import.

Can anybody tell me anything I can do to the MP3's that will make them work because they are the ones I really want?

Also can anybody tell me what to do with cd's to make them give up and give me their tunes?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
First thing i'd ask is are you sure they are mp3, just because a file ends in *.mp3 doesn't mean it's designation hasn't been altered from another format, have you tried opening the files in one of the many multi format readers available on the net?

tim west said:
First thing i'd ask is are you sure they are mp3, just because a file ends in *.mp3 doesn't mean it's designation hasn't been altered from another format, have you tried opening the files in one of the many multi format readers available on the net?

The CD has about 100 songs on it (dont know if that indicates anything)and I checked in properties on each file under type of file and it says MP3 audio file(mp3), does this not confirm it? If not what should I download that would?

Also if I dont know what it is or it is an mp3 but something is different ( I heard someone talk about different codecs), what program is best to use to convert it? Is there one that is good for most file conversion problems?

If it is mp3 already but something is different can I convert mp3 incorrect to mp3 correct format?

you could try an audio file reader try cnet or filehippo or Tucows etc for lists of suitable programs

Sponsored Links
I may have solved the problem, I downloaded itunes. I imported from my CD that contains the mp3's. I imported them as AAC's and then changed the import setting in preferences to mp3. I then got itunes to change them back to mp3's and so far everyone I tried seems to import from the itunes folder into movie maker without problem.

Obviously something must have got changed in this process so that the mp3's work. Hopefully this will work on all of them. Fingers crossed, don't know how it worked though.

Back