1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by adam2, 30 May 2006.

1. adam2

adam2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a 2-3 windows in a semi ... double glazed-probably softwood (mahogony colour) which need either replacing or a repair.

I'm not sure which ...the beading is rotted at the base where water settles and when u poke a sharp object it is like cheese.

Can I get a joiner to replace the beading? or could it be repaired with wood hardener at this stage?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    realy depends on the extent off the dammage just replace the cill if thats all thats rotton plus the beading of course ;)

if it is a relativily small area you dig out at least 90% of the soft wood use hardner on the remaning key in replacement wood [at an angle cos end grain dont stick to well]or filler if its a small area

4. samjones01

samjones01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We wanted to add new windows and a conservatory to our garden and wanted to be able to price it ourselves. We found a really useful website for conservatories, replacement windows and doors. They had clear instructions and prices online and the prices were very good so we opted to buy from them. It was an excellent product and was delivered on time. You can have a look at http://doubleglazingontheweb.co.uk

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local