windows xp

nee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im sorry if i look completely stupid, but im not too good when it comes to computers!!!

I run windows xp and constantly get the 'this program is not responding' message...any ideas what the problem could be?
Also im on broadband but get disconnected quite frequently. Ive phoned BT a few times now and they suggested a few things....the latest being that i need a new pci usb card as mine will disconnect if it uses too much power?? The one ive got is VIA and they say its no good for running broadband.....Does this sound right to you lot?
Thanks
Neil

Sponsored Links
This is possible, do have any fixed USB ports on the back of your PC/Motherboard. If so use one of those.

What Motherboard do you have. Make & Number if poss.

A little more info would be useful, My guess would be that you do not have the patch for the blaster worm installed. Does your machine shut down within 60sec's or so after you get disconected? When did you buy the machine/install xp? Exactly what message is appearing?

Normally the blaster Worm Virus Re-boots the machine it infects, when trying to go online.

Sponsored Links
yes after 60secs or so thats why i asked

nee is being Disconnected not Re-booted.

It sounds to me like a compatability prob, not virus.

B/Band modems do not like secondry USB ports/cards as they have to work harder.

eeek...cant help with the motherboard type!....sorry!

Ive checked for the blasterworm virus...all clean.
Also i get disconnected, and not shut-down like someone else suggested.
I guess i'll try another pci usb card and see if that works

nee. What Motherboard do you have. If you don't know, you can find the model number on the board itself. Usually it's near the PCI slots and may start with 1 or 2 letters. (eg: GA-7VT600)

you can try three things :

1) Disable advanced power management in the control panel.

2) Check the power rating of each usb device by right clicking on my computer, properties. then go to hardware, device manager, click on the "+" sign on Universal Serial Bus Controllers, then right click on USB Root hub, then properties, click the power tab at the top and check if there is a conflict. there may be more devices in this.

3) Find the modem's manufactors website then download the latest drivers/firmware and install or flash it.

what programme are you using when it says this prog is..........

Doesn't your PC have a built in USB on the back, or connector on the M/Board itself.

Thats why I wanted the M/Board make & model.

The fact that other programs stop responding could indicate that theres a hardware failure. The disconnection of the internet could be a symptom of the same problem. Try some software that checks your hardware; you may have a RAM failure or motherboard fault.

Try: this

Is your CPU fan still functioning correctly?

Also, be suspicious of any shareware or free stuff you have downloaded. Have you installed any new hardware, software or updated any drivers just before the problem occurred?

hilda said:
phone the helpline now, you may have a virus.

what helpline, and how will a helpline know if you have a virus, thats what anti virus software is for

Sponsored Links
Back