Wire pulling lubricant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having been warned elsewhere in this forum about the trickiness of wiring sockets in 25mm back boxes (and having just installed a bunch) can anyone recommend a safe method of lubricating the wires to reduce the force needed to pulled them out of the oval conduit for wiring up, and then pushed them back in afterwards?

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
The regs suggest that wire only occupies 45% of the internal area of any containment form.

Never will you get that much space in ego tube / oval tube between a back box and ceiling / floor void if 2 x 2.5mm TE cables need to be pushed through.

If you need to pull the old cables out and feed in new cables, other than a light dusting of fairy liquid and some luck there little to do other than pull.

Some attach the new wiring to the old and pull, others will run a strong nylon cord as a draw wire when the old is taken out.

If your containment isn't in line with the back box entry hole, then it's a hope and prey job and very likley that some of the surface plaster will cause problems around any gap between box and tube.

If your doing the job from new, back boxes with 20mm knock outs with a 20mm conduit section fixed correctly to the back box is the way forward. This allows for the cleanest and most accessable route between void and back box and will allow for easy cable feeds / pulls and replacements in the future.

Hello,
Space factors ?? :eek:
The likes of yellow77 ?, fairy liquid, soap etc usually end up working against you when you cant grip the cables to pull them :evil: . I suggest talcum powder.. ;) ..
Hope this helps.
Ed.

Slight smearing of Tallow on the cables is what was used when i used to be a contracting spark many years ago.

Sponsored Links
EddieCurrent said:
Hello,

Can't you can fry eggs etc in tallow too ??? !!! :LOL: :LOL:
It's basically like lard so i suppose so but from the smell of the old stuff i'm not sure i'd want to eat anything fried in it :D

Mice and rats love the stuff and many an ingenious trap was laid for them beside the workmens huts such as a length of wood with tallow on the end balanced on the rim of an oildrum as soon as their weight unbalanced the plank in they dropped, usually the drums were filled with rainwater so an untimely end was had by them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back