Wireeless Fire Alarm system Components

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I am doing a research for installing a wireless fire alarm system in a BB in London.
The building has 6 floors and 8 rooms in each floor, so it is a good idea to divide it into 8 zones.
would someone please give me a hint of what components should be bought for this system?
1 Central Control unit
48 Detectors (Smoke or heat)
8 Sounders
8 Call Points

any repeaters or something to connect the components through that to the central controller is needed? or the components can connect to the central controller directly?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I know absolutely nothing about fire alarms.

Other than if you need to ask that sort of question about the installation of one in the type of premises you mention, it MUST be done professionally, peoples lives etc, not to mention all the regulations that must be adhered to.

I'm sure 'Alarm' will be along later to point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

i know nothing either, but i do lmow id never want a wireless fire system in that big of a property.

Start with what your local fire officer and local authority want.
Then with this and wireless get a very large chunk of money ready.
And I mean a very large amount.
Wireless systems of this magnitude are very very expensive. So much so some tend to skimp and use lesser equipment and hope for the best.

8 zones WILL NOT SUFFICE
Smoke or heat WILL NOT SUFFICE , a correct survey is needed and the costs of various detectors will vary a lot.
8 Sounders WILL NOT SUFFICE
8 Call Points WILL NOT EITHER

The above is even without a survey.

To go wireless with this would need a very detailed survey, and then it may not pass. ( Radio survey).

(For the benefit of others Fire Wireless is a lot different to Alarm system wireless due to several factors. People saying anything different have no knowledge).

Sponsored Links
because im interested in all things like this, i belive this applys to you? but i may be wrong and it may be out of date.

"Category L Systems
Category L systems are automatic fire detection systems where the objective is to protect life. Categories are subdivided into the following systems:

L1
This is the highest category for the protection of life and is intended to give the earliest possible notification of a fire in order to allow maximum time for evaluation. Automatic and manual fire detection should be installed throughout all areas of the building with smoke detectors employed wherever possible to protect rooms in which people are expected to be present. All alarm signals given in a category L system must be sufficient to warn people for whom the alarm is intended to allow time for an evacuation.

Your missing the point.

You cannot just say " It will be smoke "detectors".
You have to see what is required.
You need sounders at certain points, for particular reasons.
Same as various other items.

You need to get this done correctly.

It looks like your going to try this yourself.

Please please please do not, you will kill someone by error and omission.

because im interested in all things like this, i belive this applys to you? but i may be wrong and it may be out of date.

"Category L Systems
Category L systems are automatic fire detection systems where the objective is to protect life. Categories are subdivided into the following systems:

L1
This is the highest category for the protection of life and is intended to give the earliest possible notification of a fire in order to allow maximum time for evaluation. Automatic and manual fire detection should be installed throughout all areas of the building with smoke detectors employed wherever possible to protect rooms in which people are expected to be present. All alarm signals given in a category L system must be sufficient to warn people for whom the alarm is intended to allow time for an evacuation.

You also missed out a few dozen other items needed to be addressed.
One being smoke detectors are not the only ones to be used.

Easy to quote a reg, another to understand.

just trying to show him, what this involves, hopefully he is just trying to get a rough idear of cost and not fit this him self.

If the alarm systems is to used in buildings such as hotels, a minimum sound level 75dBA at the bed head is required in order to wake a sleeping person

The cost would be irrelevant, it would not be the choice of a professional.
It would not allow for the fitting.

The only panel to be really trusted for this would be £1500 retail.
Not a 400 quid item.

If the alarm systems is to used in buildings such as hotels, a minimum sound level 75dBA at the bed head is required in order to wake a sleeping person

Taking into account what?
Plus your figure is wrong.

Stop reading things you have no understanding of.

my figures are not wrong, this companys may be wrong but my figures are what i gleaned from here:

http://www.bandbelectricalcontractorsltd.co.uk/services/fire-alarm-design.php

fully covered my self here "because im interested in all things like this, i belive this applys to you? but i may be wrong and it may be out of date"

like i say, just trying to show him this is not as simple as he thinks.

Your figure is incorrect when other factors are used.
However you have also missed something very important in a B&B. Actually a few points.
Ones not covered in that website, give them a call ask them.

Your efforts are worthy, but taking general hints from a website is not knowledge.

Sorry, I`ll rephrase that.

Gleaning snippets without knowing how and why is not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back