Wireless control for Central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I am new to the forum - what a great place and a mine of information. I am hoping that someone may be able to make some suggestion relating to wireless CH control

My daughters first house has had a combi boiler fitted approx 18 months ago. This is a Vokera Linea 28 (I think).

The previous owners have not had a thermostatic control fitted (or even a timer) seems that they just switched the heating on as required. She would prefer to have a programmable system therefore looking at wireless systems.

I was looking at the Towerstat T105 and would appreciate your views:

1. The boiler is connected to the mains via a 13 amp plug (my electrician thought that this may not be allowed although the manual suggests otherwise!). Am I correct in thinking that the Towerstat is just a simple switching device and that the control unit only needs to be connected in line from the incoming mains with no connection to the boiler?

2. Has anyone had any experience of this unit with a similar set up?

3. Bearing in mind a limited budget any alternative units we should look at and if possible why?

Cheers :D
Tony

Sponsored Links
Danfoss Rf sat or honeywell cmc67 (number's now changed i think)

What make and model is the boiler?

Most modern boilers will have two terminals inside them where the room stat (or wireless receiver) switch contacts connect to. You will probably find a wire link in them at the moment allowing the boiler to run constantly.

I'm no boiler expert, but wiring the roomstat into the supply flex is not a good idea, as you would only be able to get hot water when the stat is calling for heat, and some boilers have a pump overrun timer, which runs after the CH is upto the desired temperature.

Sponsored Links
I always recommend and fi the Siemens REV23 RF. Excellent rf optomising room stat/programmer. Just leave your Linea programmer on constant and let this do all the work intelligently.

I always take the perm live and neutral from the boiler permanent live and neutral terminals and the switched live out and back will be next to it, so it can all be done neatly with one multicore flex. Make sure it is heat resistant flex though (85C).

Good price found HERE

Thanks for your comments. Seems like I was under the wrong impression.
I was hoping to just add the unit in myself - however I now realise that it needs to be done professionally as the Kitchen if I understand correctly is designated a special area.

RF Lighting. Make and model of boiler Vokera Linea 28

Looking at the installation manual it says external controls can be wired from TA to TA. This is outside of my comfort and knowledge zone therefore I will definitely be hiring a pro.

Can I take it that the Towerstat is not seen as particularly good? - shame looks like Dad will have to outlay more cash :).

Will look at the alternatives quoted here.

Thanks for your help

Cheers :D
Tony

The towerstat is fine and cheap, but can only be set to half hour bands. The preset programs aren't ever exactly what people want.

I don't remember the connections on the linea it's a few years since I dealt with one. Not a bad boiler though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back