Wireless networking problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a Notebook with vista pre loaded and have managed to set up my wireless router (netgear) for internet connection. I have also added a W-LAN card to my desktop PC (running XP home) which also connects to the internet without a problem.

Now that I can connect to the internet via my wireless router i would like to file and printer share (printer connected to desktop pc). I have managed to get file/printer sharing on my notebook, but I am unable to view my notebook's shared folders on my desk top.

On both PC's I am using the WIndows firewall, although on looking at the exceptions tab on my desktop I can't find a "Network Discovery" check box. Do you think that this could be the problem?? and if so how do I solve it??

Many thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
Solved-------

Found a link on the Microsoft website that tells you how to install "discover network" in XP

So I can now file/printer share with abandon :evil: :evil: :evil:

Well done for solving it - just a quick on though - I would advise to get a third party firewall rather then trusting the XP inbuilt firewall

saclarke1977 said:
Well done for solving it - just a quick on though - I would advise to get a third party firewall rather then trusting the XP inbuilt firewall

He already has one, in the form of a router.

Sponsored Links
So now that I have my network working and secured (WPA-PSK) is there any need to use the windows firewall or will the firewall in the wireless router do the trick..also do I need to change the routers password??

Many thanks

Nick

nozspark said:
So now that I have my network working and secured (WPA-PSK) is there any need to use the windows firewall or will the firewall in the wireless router do the trick..also do I need to change the routers password??

Many thanks

Nick

WPA is protecting you from other wireless devices attempting to access your "network", although, it's recommended that you use a long passphrase (> 20 chars)

The router will use NAT by default (search the forum, it's been well covered), which is itself a firewall. If you have adequate AV/AS protection, then an additional software firewall should be unnecessary. If you have need to block something getting out that shouldn't be there in the first place, then you have opted to let it in. Blocking it with a software firewall is useless as the problem is still there, just masked.

Your netgear router probably has other firewall capabilities that you can enable as you see fit. I would also use MAC filtering to enable only authorised wireless devices to connect.

Yes, change the router password and change the default SSID to something obscure that only you know and turn off the SSID broadcast.

Cheers,

To be honest I was already thinking of enabling MAC filtering, although doesn't that give you a problem if you want to temporarily allow another PC access??

And I will change my router login password now.

Thanks alot.

I am very safety consciencious. I would rather have security measures in place rather then get a problem and wish i had installed it. Software firewalls don't use up much resource so why not.

Better to be safe then sorry - just my opinion.

Looking at my software firewall now - and it tells me that it has blocked 498 intrusions of which 73 were high rated. And that is with a router in place.

nozspark said:
Cheers,

To be honest I was already thinking of enabling MAC filtering, although doesn't that give you a problem if you want to temporarily allow another PC access??

And I will change my router login password now.

Thanks alot.

So, you temporarily allow the device and then remove it when done. Security settings aren't necessarily meant to be static things.

saclarke1977 said:
I am very safety consciencious. I would rather have security measures in place rather then get a problem and wish i had installed it. Software firewalls don't use up much resource so why not.

Better to be safe then sorry - just my opinion.

Looking at my software firewall now - and it tells me that it has blocked 498 intrusions of which 73 were high rated. And that is with a router in place.

And the 73 high rated intrusions were what exactly?

People trying to get access to my PC - i.e they had bypassed the router firewall and only stopped due to the software firewall.

If you choose not to have a software firewall then that is up to you. But having mine shows me how many times people have got through the router. You have no way of checking to see whether somebody has got through your router and has checked around your files. You just assume that they haven't because you see no difference in how your machine runs and acts.

saclarke1977 said:
People trying to get access to my PC - i.e they had bypassed the router firewall and only stopped due to the software firewall.

If you choose not to have a software firewall then that is up to you. But having mine shows me how many times people have got through the router. You have no way of checking to see whether somebody has got through your router and has checked around your files. You just assume that they haven't because you see no difference in how your machine runs and acts.

I'm not going to argue the toss with you as you obviously have no idea how a router or NAT works. If you had any clue, you would realise that they DO have log files that can be checked.

Unless you have disabled NAT, any packet making it's way through your router is responding to an outgoing request.

I actually don't use NAT, but then I doubt you have any idea how I might be protecting my network.

Ig, Please could you advise me how to turn off the SSID broadcast with a netgear router and does this stop your pc's from showing the connection in the wireless network list or only stops pc's not on the network from seeing the connection?

There will be a checkbox under in one of the routers wireless sub-menus, which can be accessed through a web browser. Post back your routers model and i'll have a route (groan :rolleyes: ) through the manual. It's a good idea to change the default SSID anyway.

Sorry for the delay in getting back as i had some difficulty finding the model number, it's a sky broadband supplied unit the model number is NETGEAR DG834GT, looking it up on the netgear website it does seem to have a pretty good spec, it mentions a double firewall SPI? anyway the site info has convinced me enough to turn off Norton firewall and just rely on the router firewall which the site suggests will run more efficiently than any of the software firewalls, do you agree? It certainly has improved the speed and hopefully will sort out the occasional dropouts i have experienced.
One problem i have come across though is that i entered the IP address of the router into IE7 and i was confronted by a username/password dialog, as it didn't seem to want to accept my username/ password that i use for my laptop i can only assume it is a pre set name and password set by Sky which means that i probably will not be able to change the settings anyway?

The default username and password for the router is admin and password respectively.

Have a look at section 4.7 of the reference manual for details or blocking the SSID broadcast. The manual will be on the supplied disk, or you can download it from here

Sponsored Links
Back