Wiring 2 External PIR Security Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advise for wiring 2 150W Security Lights, the way I intend to do this is run a 3 core cable from a switched fused (3 amp) box to the outside of the house, this is where I need the advise the 2 Security PIR Lights are identical and the wiring connections are the normal Neutral(N) Earth(E) Live(L)
With a L1 connection as well (This is the one that confused me !)

If I wire the first light as normal to the Neutral, Live and Earth, do I just tee into the Neutral, Live and Earth or do I use the L1 terminal to carry the live feed to the second light and then just tee into the Neutral and Earth.

And at the second Light wire to the Neutral(N) Earth(E) Live(L).

Hope this all makes sense

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Absolutely nothing, there is no reference to it, and no information about wiring to a second light.

If it helps the light is a:
Wickes 150w Security light 702837 702838

Thanks

only a guess, l1 is to supply a switched live to make the light comon when required.

so answer is wire L N E in paralell (ignore L1)

Sponsored Links
Wire as breezer said. If you want them both to operate together, link the L1s too. ;) You'd need a bit of 3C+E for this, or 4 core hi-tuff flex.

Though as there is no mention of L1 in the instructions, this will probably invalidate the warranty etc.

absolutely, the L1 connection is the switched live from the sensor to the lamp..

just connect L to L, N to N, and E to E..

Maybe im not being very clear.

I was thinking the OP might want the lights to operate together, which, providing the PIRs were both rated at 300w+, would be possible by linking the L1s together.

Supply the first light with LNE, then run LNE and L1 to the second light.

If he wants 2 independant PIR lights, then just running LNE to both fittings would be sufficient.

WOW what a response, thanks to everyone for there input, all is now clear.

The method I will use is just the LNE connections, as I require each light to be an independant PIR

Thanks once again

Mick

Crafty, sounds a good idea, but its not right.

assume L1 is a switched output, (switched live out) connecting two switched outputs will not make either come on, since they are outputs.

If they were for swithced inputs again neither would work if connected in paarlel, because they are waiting of an input

nonono breezer, you misunderstand yet again (not like you!). L1 is where the switched output from the PIR is connected to the light (so theres 2 wires behind it).

That's how I understand it.

L is "permanent" live, L1 is the "switched" live from the passive, giving you the override to "on all the time" when made live.

10 year old thread!..

I have a similar issues. However my two PIR security lights are already installed with a separate 1.5mm twin and earth to each light.

Can i simply connect the two L1 together with a single core cable OR will i need to require the system so that the second light is fed from the first with 3 C + E?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back