Wiring 2 lights using fused spur from socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have taken the power supply from a 13amp double socket and connected a 13amp Fused Connection unit.

I intend to use the FCU to power to lights using a 2 gang switch. I have done this before using a 1 gang switch but unsure how to perform this as the switch is not easily understandable. The each switch has an L, L1 and L2. I'm not too sure if the L is the replacement for Common as in the other light switches.

The mains, Supply, is fitted on the FCU.

Could someone explain what I need to do to the connection from the load terminals of the FCU to the 2 gang switch's connections and the from the 2 Gang switch to the lights terminals all wiring is Red - Live, Black - Neutral and Bare - Earth.

Thanks in adavnce.

Cybertek :confused:

Sponsored Links
L is almost certainly common

connect all neutrals together with a peice of chock block

all earths should be connected together, If the faceplate is plastic then put them all in the box earth terminal. If the faceplate is metal then put them all in the faceplate earth terminal (and if the box is metal then its good practice but not required provided there is at least one fixed lug to take an earth lead from the plate to the box)

connect the live from the fcu to both L terminals (using a short loop of red wire)

connect the lives from the lights to the two L1 terminals

finally remember you should be using green/yellow sleeving on bare earth cores

Thanks Plugwash,

Just one more thing, what do I do to the Neutral and Earth wires from the lights. Do I also connect these Neutrals and Earths toghether using a choc block or is there something else I need to do with them?

Thanks

Cybertek :)

The earth and neutral need to go from supply through to lamp without passing though the switch. (they also need to be in separate terminals from each other but I'm sure you knew that) Choc block in the back of the switch box is OK, if you can make sure it can't flap into the way of anything important (if need be tie it back to the back box earth lug). You also need a deeper box than the minimum. Otherwise a junction box is a possibilty.
If you are neat you can 'knife' the cable, in such a way as to get to the live core, but not cut into the other two, but this is a bit of an art.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input Mapj1.

I'm a little confused. Do you mean that I need to take the Earth and Neutral wires from my FCU Load terminals or is it the Supply terminal connecting them directly to my lights?

Or do I merely bring the an Earth and Neutral from the FCU Load and using a choc block connect the light's Earth and Neutral?

Thanks again

Cybertek :confused:

With an unswitched FCU the supply and load terminals for Neutral & Earth are the same - only the live goes through the fuse. So you can use either side to supply the lights with their neutral and earth. Using the load side would be easier, but it's up to you.

Use your multimeter to explore the internals of the FCU.

Sorry if I confused matters. I was thinking the switch was the normal light switch kind (only 2 terminals) on the wall by the lights, and the fuse spur was somewhere else, like next to the socket it was fed from. Obviously if using a combined fuse and switch as the switch, and it has specific neutral in and out terminals (these may be labelled supply and load) use those instead. Sorry to have muddled you, not the intention I assure you.

mapj1 said:
I was thinking the switch was the normal light switch kind (only 2 terminals) on the wall by the lights, and the fuse spur was somewhere else, like next to the socket it was fed from.
You were right - that's exactly what he has:
cybertek said:
Hi,

I have taken the power supply from a 13amp double socket and connected a 13amp Fused Connection unit.

I intend to use the FCU to power to lights using a 2 gang switch.

I can see de Lights!

Just to say a BIG thank you for everyone's help and advice in overcoming my dilema.

Regards

Cybertek :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back