Wiring 2 LV lighting circuits to 1 switch

Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ay-up

I'm redoing my bathroom and I am installing 2 low voltage lighting circuits. Would it be best to split the cable from the switch using a junction box or to run the cable from the switch to one transformer and then on to the next?

Cheers

Stu

Sponsored Links
two circuits in a bathroom, must be big bathroom?

loop from one transformer to next

Big? no chance. Got 3 35w spots and a Extractor/light for above the bath (at a height of 2.4m from the floor so no zone problems)

Typing that I've just remembered, the fan needs wiring in as well.

Would the be any preferential order for the wiring? I'm using a 105W and a 35W transformer and the Fan runs on Mains? I assume it would be ok to connect the switch to the 105W transformer, then onto the fan and finally to the other Transformer?

Cheers again

Come on - it's been ages since we've had any unhelpful pedantry....

Hob said:
I am installing 2 low voltage lighting circuits...

..cable from the switch to one transformer ..

What's wrong with everyone?

;)

Hob said:
Would the be any preferential order for the wiring? I'm using a 105W and a 35W transformer and the Fan runs on Mains? I assume it would be ok to connect the switch to the 105W transformer, then onto the fan and finally to the other Transformer?
As they are all wired in parallel, there is no "order" - just run the cable(s) in the most sensible route(s)

Also, are you aware of Part P of the Building Regulations?

please note 10a

Sponsored Links
and then on to the next

tsk :rolleyes: I would have thought it was obvious I had 2 transformers ;)

As for part P of the building regs, I am aware of it yes.

My understanding is it's OK to replace damaged or old cable, and as the stuff I've taken out is sheilded in black rubber I should be ok on that front. It's also OK to replace fitting such as ceiling roses etc. Well just so happens after replacing the old black cable with nice T+E stuff I will be replacing the fittings. Ahem. :rolleyes: ;) [/quote]

Hob said:
and then on to the next

tsk :rolleyes: I would have thought it was obvious I had 2 transformers ;)
It is, but you were asking about the "order" in which they are wired, and I was pointing out that whether you have 2 or 2000000 transformers, they are wired in parallel, so there is no concept of order.

As for part P of the building regs, I am aware of it yes.

My understanding is it's OK to replace damaged or old cable, and as the stuff I've taken out is sheilded in black rubber I should be ok on that front. It's also OK to replace fitting such as ceiling roses etc. Well just so happens after replacing the old black cable with nice T+E stuff I will be replacing the fittings. Ahem. :rolleyes: ;)
That's not quite what it says, and that's not quite what you're doing, but it's your decision on what you do. You'll not find many supporters of Part P - I just wanted to make sure that you weren't being given advice which could lead you to unwittingly break the law because you weren't aware of it, that's all.

It is, but you were asking about the "order" in which they are wired, and I was pointing out that whether you have 2 or 2000000 transformers, they are wired in parallel, so there is no concept of order.

you're absolutley right and belive me I have the brusies from kicking myself for being so stupid. :oops:

Cheers all.

please note 10a

10a) If you have just posted, and wish to add something to your post, please do not post again, but press the
icon_edit.gif
button, you can then add / edit your post.

Err - I didn't post again to add to a post - I replied to a different one. I'd never read 10a as meaning that posts should be amalgamated. Can you confirm your interpretation?

yes that is correct

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back